How Much Does Fanfold Insulation Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Fanfold insulation is an extruded polystyrene foam insulation applied to the exterior of the house. Fan-fold insulation choices should be based on how much insulation you need in a specific area of your house or building. Its purpose is to provide thermal protection and to form a second barrier between the elements and the framing of your house. The “R-value” of insulation is the term used to describe the level of thermal protection of a particular insulating material. For an example, on the interior of the house you will be using an R-19 on the walls and R-30 on the ceilings. When you choose the fanfold insulation, you have to consider the r-value as well.
How much is it?
- Fanfold insulating material can vary anywhere from $4 to as much as $8 per square foot.
- Fanfold insulation which is 1/4 thick and 4 x 50 feet in size can cost $42 to $55.
- For example, the R1 1/4′ FanFold Underlayment Board for Re-siding sold by the company Menards retails for $34.
- A R-19 based fanfold insulation can cost $1.80 to $3 per square foot. For a 1,600 square foot home, the overall insulation price can cost $2,800 to $5,000.
What is going to be included?
- The insulation is going to come prepacked and ready to be installed.
- Shipping fee may or may not be included depending on your purchase and the merchant online. Purchasing it from a local hardware store will allow you to take it home at no additional charge.
- Depending on the brand, some products will be made of recycled material and can be energy star qualified.
What are the extra costs?
- Should you need to hire someone to install the fanfold insulation, the labor cost is going to be additional. Usually, this is calculated by multiplying the area by the thickness of the insulation and to be multiplied with the cost of installation per square foot (area x insulation thickness x cost per board foot = total installation cost). For example, a 60 sq ft. space will be insulated 1” thick and the cost per board foot is $2; this means the total installation cost is around $120.
- Additional tools and materials may be needed to ensure that the insulation is installed properly.
- If you’re going to complete the job yourself, tools such as a hammer, stapler, utility knife and measuring tape will be required to accomplish the task.
Tips to know:
- Consider using a day where there is no wind. This is going to help make the installation process a lot easier.
- The average fanfold insulation will come in an accordion stack that measures at 2′ x 4′.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save from the cost of fanfold insulation is to buy the insulation material in bulk to receive discounts from the manufacturer or dealer.
- If possible, you can also venture for a do-it-yourself installation project so you can save the installation fee.
- Consider looking for energy star products to help save with heating and cooling costs.
- If you choose to have a professional contractor do the job for you, you will want to use services such as Service Magic to help you with finding a cheap quote in your area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|