How Much Does Faux Leather Cost?
Many people have chosen leather as a favorite material in different areas such as clothing, upholstery and other fabrics. There are several animal rights groups who argue that this is abusing the use of leather for human desires. This is part of the reason why faux leather is created. Faux leather is an artificial leather manufactured to resemble and used as real leather. Obviously, the greatest advantage of using this type of leather is that it is animal friendly and can last several years.
How much is it?
- On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $22 per yard. The cost is going to vary on factors such as the type, the quality and type that you want to purchase. There are many types and brands that include the easy rider collection, embossed, embroidered, equinox, solid colors, and more.
- Faux leather resembles different animal leathers and this is the basis of the price for the faux leather fabric. One of the most popular faux leather is ostrich, which is available in caramel spice and lime colors. The price for this type of faux leather ranges from $13 to $18 per yard.
- Another type of faux leather is the calf. It comes in different colors such as black, espresso, or red. This is also available in a saddle design. The price for this type is between $14 and $19 per yard.
- Pigskin leather is also widely available. Varieties include difference in colors such as red, chocolate, and black. The price for this type of leather ranges from $14 to $19 per yard.
- One of the most elusive leather that is available comes from the crocodile in a faux leather version. This is available starting at $13 to $17 per yard.
What are the extra costs?
- There are different products that can be created from faux leather fabric. If you are unable to do this yourself, you will need to hire a worker to get an end product.
- Customizable cuts will more than likely cost a little more than a simple, free cut that is done by most fabric companies.
What is going to be included?
- Most fabric stores will cut the fabric according to your dimensions. This is usually done per yard.
Tips to know:
- Faux leather is designed to work in regular sewing machines. If using a machine, ensure that there aren’t multiple layers in the fabric to clog up the machine. If you’re going to work with more than one layer, it’s wise to consider an industrial based sewing machine.
How can I save money?
- Expensive leather being imitated can cost more. You can opt for a simpler design that would cost less. Choose a simpler design so that your budget isn’t as high.
- Since you can purchase faux leather by yard, just buy what you need. Also save the trimmings by using it later for decorative purposes.
- Visit several stores both online and locally to compare prices. Browse through several catalogs and you will be sure to find the cheapest fabric of your choice.
- Buy items in bulk since stores will most likely provide discounts that can definitely save you money. Some offer other bonuses such as free delivery.