How Much Does a Fennec Fox Cost?
A Fennec fox is a small nocturnal animal which can be found in the Sahara of North Africa. The Fennec fox can be easily identified by its unusually large ears. A Fennec fox can live up to 12 years in the wild and is bred commercially as an exotic pet animal. The price for a Fennec fox depends on its breed as well as the age, the breeder, and location from where it is purchased.
How much is it?
- A Fennec fox is considered as an exotic pet and is not easily found in regular pet stores. There are specialty stores that sell Fennec foxes and the price can be quite high. On average, a Fennec fox can cost anywhere from $1,200 to $3,000. It is not uncommon to see these foxes get well into the $10,000 price range.
- A breeder such as GoPetsOnline.com sells hand raised baby Fennec foxes for the price of $1,000 to $1,500.
- Another breeder such as Shorttailedopossum.Tripod.com sells Fennec foxes and other type of exotic animals that can range anywhere from $1,300 to $1,500. These Fennec foxes are at least a year old, and the seller requires deposits for every order of the pet.
- Be sure to check with your local city and state laws to ensure that this exotic animal is legal within your state lines. Some states as well as cities ban these animals.
What are the extra costs?
- It will have to be registered with local city and counties, if necessary.
- A Fennec fox’s diet consists of a high quality cat food or vegetables. Plan on setting aside at least $50 to $150 a month to feed this animal.
- Vaccinations and vet visits in the future will be necessary for routine check ups as well as if any problems do arise.
- If a Fennec fox is purchased outside of the state, shipping fees may apply depending on the conditions of the animal. Each breeder will have his own guidelines in terms of shipping this type of animal.
What is going to be included?
- Some sellers will include shots, health certificates, and the license for the pet. However, this is an arrangement that is in the discretion of the seller. If these are not included with the payment, they are considered an additional cost.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to make sure that these foxes are legal in your local city and state. Many states have guidelines and rules that forbid owning a animal such as this one.
- Be sure to research a vet that is qualified to work with foxes such as the Fennec. Many vets are uncomfortable working with these types of animals, so it’s best to make sure that there is a qualified vet in your area that can take care of them.
- These animals are extremely fast and if they do escape, they can be rather hard to catch. If they did escape, could you catch one?
- When purchasing a fox, always make sure that you purchase from a reputable breeder.
How can I save money?
- Breeders are going to be few and far between. Your best bet is to try to find a local breeder that can show you the animals personally. Many airlines have strict policies in place when it comes to transporting exotic animals.