How Much Does a Finger Monkey Cost?
A finger monkey is one of the common types of monkeys that can be kept as a domesticated pet. Although monkeys used to be rare as pets, they have slowly become a popular choice. A finger monkey is a relatively rare species that is the size of the average finger. Coming from tropical regions, these monkeys will require special attention and care.
How much are finger monkeys?
- The cost of a finger monkey is going to greatly vary depending upon a few factors such as its age, the breeder selling it, and the health of the monkey. On average, plan on budgeting anywhere from $1,500 to as much as $5,000 per animal.
- The website DomesticSale.com allows breeders the opportunity to post animals for sale. Breeders on this website have listed their finger monkeys for $1,800 to as much as $3,000.
What are the extra costs?
- This primate has a very unique diet compared to most animals that you may have in your home. The diet of a finger monkey is going to include foods such as fruits, insects, smaller lizards and flower nectar. Plan on budgeting $35 to $75 per month for food.
- Since these are animals that tend to be rather sociable, it is highly advisable that you consider getting a total of two or more monkeys. Be sure to get a monkey of the same sex so that you can avoid reproduction.
- There is a good chance that you will going to have to pay shipping fees to have your monkey delivered to your doorstep. Animal shipping fees can vary anywhere from $100 to $300 via an airline.
- Since these are rather complex animals to handle, a training class is highly recommended. This class will teach you all the ins and outs of how to handle and properly care for your monkey.
What is going to be included?
- A finger monkey will have a life span that can range anywhere from 15 to 25 years. These monkeys have a furry body with a tan and black fleck type fur. Its underbelly has a white color and its eyes have an almond like shape.
- Measuring as long as 5 to 12 inches, a finger monkey can take up to two years to reach adulthood.
- Reputable breeders are going to include a health guarantee that can last upwards of 90 days as well as a start-up package that can include toys, food and a guide on how to handle one.
- Depending on the type of monkey, some can be leashed trained. When it comes to the bathroom, most will have to wear a diaper.
Tips to know:
- Many states say that owning a finger monkey can be illegal. Be sure to check your local city and state laws to ensure that you can have a monkey in your hometown. If it is illegal, it is wise to avoid adopting one since fines and even jail time could be faced.
- Breeders for a finger monkey are rather rare. If adopting one, always make sure that you do your homework. Be sure to research the history of the breeder as well as make sure that you know the exact health of the monkey. Many can often have diseases that can cause problems down the road.
- This type of monkey will have a furry body with black flecks. Most come in a cream or white color. They also have a lion mane type fur.
How can I save money?
- Highly consider adopting one through a non-profit organization. Keep in mind that since these monkeys are rather hard to find, it never hurts to put yourself on a waiting list.
- Since a finger monkey has a rather complex diet, consider purchasing your food in bulk. This will be a great way to save on food costs each and every month.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|