How Much Does a Fingerprint Scanner Cost?
Fingerprint scanners have developed a lot over the years. What used to be an expensive item that only major corporations owned has now become a common household item. Fingerprint scanners can be found in local police stations, hospitals, and even your local retail store’s backroom. Instead of using a keycode or a password, a user will simply place his finger on the device and it will either deny or allow access. The cost of a fingerprint scanner is going to widely vary depending on the brand, the complexity of the scanner, as well as other factors. Fingerprint scanners are great for identifying a person’s identity. While many companies use badges that are coded and contain pictures, these can be fabricated if you have the correct equipment. A person’s fingerprint, however, cannot be duplicated. This is, therefore, the safest way to ensure the privacy of your company.
How much is it?
- On average, a fingerprint scanner can cost anywhere from $40 to as much as $400.
- For example, the highly-rated Eikon Digital Privacy Manager can retail for $75 to $90. This particular device is compatible with any Windows machine and can provide a quick and reliable biometric authentication.
- An USB fingerprint scanner that plugs directly into a USB port can retail from $19 to as much as $100.
- A computer fingerprint scanner that is normally connected to a computer keyboard or an additional add-on device can retail for $25 to as much as $115. For instance, the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader retails for $69 to $99.
- A door knob that has a fingerprint scanner built directly into it can range anywhere from $118 to as much $300 depending upon the material used and their compatibility.
What are the extra costs?
- These scanners can often come installed on a laptop. If you choose this route, a laptop can cost a lot more. Plan on spending anywhere from $200 to as much as $500 more if it does go bad.
- Many opt to purchase two scanners in case they ever need a backup. It is wise to program a backup just in case the first one fails. If you do not want to purchase a backup, consider looking for a kit that will allow you to backup the information directly on your computer.
What is going to be included?
- A fingerprint scanner kit is going to come with the installation materials, which usually include a CD-ROM and a guide. These instructional guides will be very informative when it comes to learning how to program your fingerprint scanner.
- Many popular brands will back their product with a limited warranty that can last upwards of a few years.
- A fingerprint scanner is going to allow you to bypass passwords. Instead of using a keyboard or a keypad to enter a password, a finger will only have to be placed on an area. With the touch of a finger, the device can open doors, open up software packages on the computer, and so much more.
Tips to know:
- Some kits are poorly made. Do not settle for purchasing one that is cheap because they can easily be hacked. It is best to research the reviews online to ensure that you are purchasing a kit that is highly rated. If you company is high security, the extra money spent will be well worth it.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a kit either used or even an older model that is still new. If purchasing used, just make sure that the settings are always reset to default so that all the old information was destroyed.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|