How Much Do Fireplace Mantels Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A mantel is a chimney piece that is used as decorative framework around your fireplace. These often have elaborate designs that could sometimes reach as high as the ceiling. A mantel emphasizes on the artistic features of your room, adding an additional layer of design. The price of mantels greatly varies depending on the design as well as the size of the mantel itself.
How much is it?
- On average, a fireplace mantel can cost $300 to as much as $11,500 or more.
- A higher end mantel, such as a marble fireplace mantel that has a traditional Italian design, can cost anywhere from $9,000 to $11,500. Customized mantels can be in this price range as well if you choose to purchase a mantel that has a higher end stone such as marble.
- A mantel that is designed for a condo and/or small tight places can cost $500 to $1,200.
- A mantel that has a traditional, wood and/or antiqued finish can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500.
- Fireplace surrounds that are built to go around a fireplace can vary from $300 to $2,000. These surrounds can be made with wood and/or stone. For example, Pearl Mantels 530-56 retails for $230 to $300.
- A simpler designs can cost $500 to $900. This type of mantel has a contemporary style with natural finishing. It can also made out of cast stone, which is durable and can last over time.
- Mantels that have an antique look such as a Victorian Wood can range from $300 to as much as $900. Those that have a rustic look could range from $300 to $800.
What are the extra costs?
- Installation for the mantel can cost anywhere from $200 to $1,000 depending on the contractor. Mantels are recommended to be installed by a professional because of the complexity of the installation process.
- Plain wooden mantels need to be painted over for an additional layer of texture. You may also have to sand it first so the paint will adhere to the material. Paints can cost anywhere from $20 to $50 per gallon, depending on the type of paint you purchase.
- Additional supplies and tools will be needed to install the mantel if you choose to install it yourself. Some of the tools needed will be wood glue, a tape measure, screw gun, screwdrivers, nails, and more.
- Some opt to purchase accessories such as shelves or additional decorations.
What is going to be included?
- Most manufacturers will offer free shipping if purchased online.
- Installation kits will be included in the packaging. This will include step by step instructions on how you can install the mantel properly.
- Depending upon the company, some may offer a limited warranty that can last upwards of a few years in case problems arise with the mantel.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a simpler designed mantel. The more complicated the design is, the more expensive the mantel can be.
- You can save on installation costs if you have the ability to install the mantel yourself. With the rise of new technologies, finding instructional videos is fairly easy and can help you in installing the mantel.
- If considering hiring a professional contractor, try out services such as Service Magic to help you find the cheapest contractor in your area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|