How Much Does A Flemish Giant Rabbit Cost?
Flemish giant rabbits are one of the many types of rabbits that can be kept as a household pet. Rabbits are known to be cute and cuddly creatures. They are usually grow to be about the size of a cat, and it is rare to see a bunny much larger than this. Flemish giant rabbits have acquired that name for a reason – they can grow to be much larger than a cat, even twice the size. These rabbits are domesticated and are famous mostly because of their large size. Flemish giant rabbits are considered to be one of the most domesticated pets since they are docile and tolerant of gentle handling, even more so than a normal bunny which can be jumpy and fidgety. However, like all animals, if they are handled incorrectly or irresponsibly, the Flemish giant rabbit can become fearful as well as violent. Because of their size, they also need adequate living space so that their movement is not inhibited.
How much is it?
- You can purchase Flemish giant rabbits from different pet stores as well as other animal stores. You can even find them online from rabbit breeders. The price of the Flemish giant rabbit will depend on the size as well as the age and gender of the rabbit. The color of the rabbit as well as the quality of the breed can also affect the cost. The seller can impose different prices for his rabbits according to his discretion, but most will price them competitively with other breeders. On average, this rabbit can range in price from $50 to as much as $400 each.
- If you are close by Glendora, California, you can check out the rabbits sold by Double L Rabbit Ranch. The site offers different kinds of Flemish giant rabbit such as those sandy in color and the fawn variety. This ranch requires a deposit from people who would like to buy the rabbits from them. No matter what kind of rabbit they have, they usually sell it for $150 to $250. Most of the rabbits that they sell are 2 to 4 months old. Remember that this store does not ship the rabbits and you will need to visit them personally if you want to own one.
- Hoobly.com is an online site that offers Flemish giant rabbits that are owned by different breeders from around the country; most of the Flemish giants being sold here are bunnies. Depending on the variety of the rabbit, the price can range anywhere from $50 to $300. The age of the rabbit would also play a factor when considering the price of the bunny.
- Bundy Cowgirl is a website owned by an individual that sells different kinds of Flemish giant rabbits. These rabbits are from Australia and can grow very large. The rabbits are shipped throughout the world and they can be purchased for $200 to $330. These are all airport to airport prices only and a traveling crate is included when they are purchased.
What is going to be included?
- The rabbit should be given shots to help them become immune from different types of ailments. These ailments are usually acquired when young, so the vaccinations should be given before selling the rabbit. Reputable breeders should include all medical records.
- If the rabbit has to be shipped through air or transit, a travel cage should be included.
- Depending on the breeder or organization, a starter kit may be included. This type of kit can include basic necessities such as food, coupons, care guides, and more.
What are the extra costs?
- The first thing that you need to consider as an added cost for owning a Flemish giant rabbit is the cost to feed them and to provide them housing. The rabbits are fairly large in size and they can eat a lot. Flemish giant rabbits eat the same diet as a regular rabbit, but they eat a lot more since the food intake is proportional to the size of the animal. Nutrition experts suggest hay and occasional treats. Rabbit feed can be purchased at your local pet store.
- Another thing that you need to watch out for is the cost to have the rabbit checked by a veterinarian to make sure that it is healthy and will live a long life. Plan on budgeting at least one vet visit per year for routine checkups.
- If the rabbit has to be shipped, additional fees can apply. The average cost to ship a rabbit can vary anywhere from $200 to $300.
Tips to know:
- Flemish giant rabbits can grow as big as your dog and they can become quite a handful to take care of. This is the reason that you really need think about all the factors involved before purchasing one of these rabbits.
How can I save money:
- To save money, it would be a good idea to purchase from someone in your vicinity to make sure that you can avoid shipping costs.
- Consider checking local Humane Societies to see if they have any up for adoption. There are many people who purchase one of these rabbits and then decide it is too much for them.
- Many people choose to let the rabbit roam freely through their house and simply provide a bed for it, much like a cat or dog. This will save you money of purchasing a cage or barricade for the rabbit.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|