How Much Does Fog Light Installation Cost?
Fog light installation is necessary for people who drive cars meant for off-roads and inclement weather. Fog lights are part of the car’s auxiliary light system and are meant to provide illumination that is aimed at the road rather than straight ahead. They usually emit a yellow tinted light. These lights not only provide additional light for you to see the road, but also provide a warning to other drivers. In think fog, it is hard to see other cars coming. Fog lights allow other drivers to see you car coming as they can see the yellow beams before they can see the car. The lights that come standard on a car are ideal for city driving; however, a person who lives and drives the roads full of fog needs to use fog lights. In addition, people who enjoy off-pavement rails and weekend rallies should consider fog lights. Despite the fact that the fog lights come with instructions, the installation can be very tricky since they much connect to your car’s electrical system. The fog light kit is designed to be installed by more experienced mechanics to ensure that is it done correctly.
How much does it cost?
- On average, installing fog lights with a professional mechanic will cost anywhere from $150 to as much as $400. This price range will often include the fog lights themselves.
- On a forum found on PILOTEERS.org, users indicated that fog installation could cost around $180 to $255. This price range was affected by the users’ geographical location and the mechanic that they chose.
- 8thcivic.com shares that it would cost anywhere from $200 to $300 for fog light installation from a Honda dealer.
- Another forum, the Honda Element Owners Club Forum showed that a dealer charges at least $50 to $75 per hour for labor.
- For those that want to purchase the part alone, fog lights for cars can usually retail for $10 to $100.
What is going to be included?
- Fog lights are designed to help increase visibility during bad weather, making it easier to see on rainy and misty days.
- Several car dealers sell fog lights which includes the fog light installation. The labor for the installation may take about 1 to 3 hours.
- Car accessory dealers offer the labor for fog light installation at an hourly rate if you choose the purchase the lights through them.
Factors that influence the price:
- Kind of car. The electrical system of each car can vary greatly. You may be charged more for a luxury car compared to a basic sedan. Like most auto parts, the brand you choose will influence the price.
- Location. Suburbs tend to charge a lower fog light installation fee. The specific mechanic that you choose can also make a difference.
- Length of installation. If the mechanic spends more time on the installation, it is going to cost you more. The reason for this is that most mechanics charge per the hour since the installation of fog lights is not a standard procedure.
Tips to know:
- Check the warranty of your car. It is best not to install the fog light if you are still under warranty. That way, you will not encounter any problems. Installing third-party items can often void your warranty.
- Make sure you have the right color tint of the bulb for your fog light. Fog lights come in various colors like yellow, blue, white and orange.
- Most newer cars come standard with fog lights. On many models, the fog lights are automatic and turn on as soon as the car is started. They stay on even when your headlights are off. This also provides extra safety during the day since the fog lights are dim but provide enough light to make other drivers aware of your.
Questions to ask:
- Do you have a certification on your training as a mechanic?
- How many hours does it take for you to finish the installation?
- How much is your labor fee?
- Do the fog lights come with free installation?
- How many years have you been installing fog lights?
How can I save money?
- Consider installing these lights by yourself if you have a good knowledge of mechanics. If you can manage to work your way in the installation, it could take a few hours. There are many guides online such as this YouTube video that can help you along.
- It is best to get a flat rate quote rather than an hourly rate if the mechanic offers it.
- Car dealers tend to charge more for installation of fog lights. If you found fog lights from a car accessory shop, head to your trusted mechanic and get him to install the fog lights for you. By doing so, this alone can save you a few dollars.
- Always compare at least three to five shops over the phone. Most will be more than happy to explain what they can do for you over the phone.
- Find a mechanic that you like and try to use him for all repairs and maintenance. Being loyal to one shop can earn you discounts.