How Much Does a Forced Air Furnace Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A forced air furnace is a common heating system found in many homes today. This is one of the most common types of heating systems in the home, and it has been this way for over 20 years. A forced air furnace relies on ductwork, vents, and plenums. A plenum is a chamber that holds air and helps to pressurize whatever is being held. With a forced air furnace, the plenum chambers helps transport the air to the rooms that are being heated and back to the central air handler for reheating. All forced air furnaces will use an air filter, blower, heat exchanger, and other controls. Like other types of heating systems, a forced air furnace is controlled with a thermostat.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a forced air furnace can cost anywhere from $400 to as much as $3,000. The price really comes down to the type of system that you want to have, the model and the design of home.
- High efficiency models can cost anywhere from $1,300 to $2,000 for the unit alone. This is not going to include the installation prices.
- A system that runs on oil can cost anywhere from $1,800 to $3,000.
- An electric system can cost anywhere from $400 to $1,200.
- According to the website HeatingSystemGuides.com, a forced air system should cost anywhere from $600 to as much as $2,600. To have it installed, plan on spending an additional $500 to $1,200. This means that the total cost of the furnace and installation should be between $1100 and $3800.
- Lowes.com has a handful of forced air furnaces that range anywhere from $1,000 to $1,800 for the unit only.
What is going to be included?
- A forced air furnace uses either oil, electricity or gas to blow out forced air through the home’s duct system. This air is then returned to the air handler, reheated, and then sent back to the rooms through the ducts.
- An electric furnace tends to be quieter and uses an electric element to heat the air. A forced air furnace does not produce any on-site emissions, so it safer for the health of those in the homes as well as the environment.
- A natural gas forced air furnace is produced through the combustion of fuel. The ignition is provided by an electric spark.
- There are many advantages to a forced air furnace. First, the system runs on a thermostat which can be set and programmed to your liking. Second, there is no risk of a water leak since the system contains no water. Third, these types of systems are popular so they are readily available, and they are very energy efficient.
What are the extra costs?
- Licensing fees and permits should be expected when you have the forced air furnace installed in the house.
- Once the furnace has been installed, an inspection needs to be done to ensure that the furnace has been installed properly. This is extremely important since a small mistake in installation could potentially cause a serious problem such as a fire. Inspection fees would be around $50 to $300, and this would depend on the location of the house or building.
- The prices noted above are for the units only. Installation costs can be anywhere from $400 to $1,500 depending on the type of furnace. To find a qualified installer in your area, HomeAdvisor.com is a free service that can get you multiple quotes.
Factors that influence the price:
- The size of the house is a major element that affects the cost and pricing of a forced air furnace. The larger the property, the higher the expected costs would be as additional materials such as cables, air ducts, and vents would be required. A larger house will also mean a larger cost to run the system.
- The brand and model of the device is also an added element that raises the price of the overall force air furnace device. The more modern the features the machine has, the higher the cost of it will be.
Tips to know:
- A forced air system is excellent for programmable thermostats since they have a short time to recover.
- These types of systems tend to be cheaper than hydronic systems.
- On the other hand, these systems tend to be noisier than hydronic systems and can often distribute allergens through a heated space. They also allow smells to pass through the house more easily, such as scents traveling from the kitchen to other rooms.
How can I save money?
- The forced air furnace should be a furnace that will provide you with a modern function that will not only save you on the costs, but will ensure that you end up with a reliable system. Notably, choose brands that offer you the environmental features so that you can potentially bring your heating bills down each month.
- In order to save money on installation, get quotes from and compare the services of at least three different companies. It is best to find the installation company and then purchase the forced air furnace system through them as well. Purchasing the system and installation separately will end up costing more in most cases.