How Much Does a Forklift Certification Cost?
A forklift certification allows the holder to legally operate a forklift.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on what route you are going to take, the cost of a forklift certification with training is going to be anywhere from $50 for online courses to as much as $400 for a classroom setting.
- According to the website FreeWebs.com, it is noted that OSHA will have the necessary requirements that a person has to go through to get the needed training.
- The range that online educators offer for the forklift certification would be around $49 to as high as $200. This would include approximately 10 to 30 hours of training and lessons.
- For the online versions, you would get video instructions in replace of the typical classroom settings. You will still need hours of drive time in order to receive the certification.
- The website ForkLiftTrainingZone.com indicates that the prices for the forklift certification lessons would vary for every type of forklift training that you will go through.
What is going to be included?
- The forklift is considered to be a great machine that will certainly aid a business in moving heavy objects and items from one location to another. Certifications for the forklift training would basically include a complete recognition for any OSHA requirements to operate. This is going to be useful in almost any warehouse location.
- Some training programs would also come with the checklists for the OSHA requirements, and this would help you gain an idea on what you can and cannot do.
- Upon completion, you should receive a wallet card for future employment verification within a week or so.
What are the extra costs?
- Modern schools and centers for training may make you purchase the necessary learning material. This could be considered an additional expense on top of the certification cost.
- The operators for the forklift might also need to undergo other testing and examinations before they can move forward with a company.
- While optional, some students opt to purchase additional study guides and learning material. These books can cost anywhere from $15 to $45. There are also tutors available if you think that you need one.
Factors that influence the price:
- The more complex the training procedure is, the more likely that the costs would also be higher. However, the higher your certification, the more qualified you will be. If you are trying to get a job, this certification may give you the edge you need.
- Typically, the classroom settings will cost more; however, this is the training program that most companies would prefer their employees to have. Online and video courses will not offer any one-on-one attention or any time to ask questions.
- Prices would also be dependent on the location where the machine will be operated.
Tips to know:
- It is always best to have the right certification and training prior to operating a forklift. The penalties for the illegal operation of the forklift are quite high as compared to the costs in getting the right certification.
- If you are someone who will be working on smaller forklifts, an online education course would be more sufficient if you don’t have the time to go to the actual classroom.
- There are many different types of forklifts, and each one offers different features. While most of them will be operated in a similar way, make sure that you study the particular one you are driving to make sure you understand it. Some are more complex than others. For more information on the different types of forklifts and their costs, see “How Much Does a Forklift Cost?”
How can I save money?
- The best way for you to save money is to get the right training from verified and trusted sources. Some companies offer their own versions of the training, and in the end, what they will be teaching may not be those that are in accordance to the rules of the OSHA. Generally, saving money is best done when you get the certification from people who know what they are doing. Thus, it relieves you of going through the same process all over again.
- Some companies offer this certification for their employees during the actual job process, so you may not even need to pay at all. If you are currently employed with a company that does operate forklifts, see if they have any sort of programs available. If your company does not offer the training but requires that you have it, they may pay for the classes that you have to take through a third party.