How Much Does a Four Wheeler Cost?
A four wheeler, which is part of the group ATV (all terrain vehicle), is an off road vehicle that is defined by the American National Standards Institute as “a vehicle that travels on low-pressure tires, with a seat that is straddled by the operator, along with handlebars for steering control.” ATVs can come with three wheels or four wheels. Four wheelers are quite popular for drivers who enjoy the ultimate traction and have the power to control their vehicle while driving. This is different from all the other vehicles because it is powered by four wheels so there’s no occurrence of slippage, similar to a car that has all-wheel drive. What is great about a four wheeler is that it can be used on hard terrains, and in rainy and snowy conditions. A four wheeler is widely used by drivers who enjoy off-road driving on dirt trails, steep slopes and even streams. Four wheelers are also used by extreme sports enthusiasts, who race and compete with these ATVs.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a four wheeler can cost anywhere from as little as $500 used to as much as $10,000 new. Most purchases, though, are going to be between the $2,000 and $5,000 price tag.
- A smaller child sized four wheeler can cost $1,000 to $2,500, while the adult sized can cost upwards of $10,000.
- For example, at FourWheeler.com, there are various four wheelers showcased. One of them is the Arctic Cat 700 H1 EFI Mud Pro that retails for $9,529. A Honda TRX700XX is sold for $8,499. Also available is the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4×4, which retails for $8,549. The Polaris Sportsman 850 XP is sold for $8,999, and the Suzuki King Quad 500AXi 4×4 Power Steering is sold at $7,599. These are just a few of the four wheelers that are a available at this site.
- ATVTraderOnline.com, a popular four wheeler classified ad based website, has newer models from the current year starting at $5,000.
- ArcheryTalk.com features a conversation about the four wheelers that people used when hunting, and most of them claimed that they paid anywhere from $2,000 to $8,000.
What is going to be included?
- The four wheeler has a strong and sturdy build that can surpass tough bumps and big trails. An owner is provided with an easy manual on assembling the four wheeler. The owner will find that the four wheeler has a plastic, shatter resistant fairing. The steel frames are welded, seat is padded, and has a rear disc break. The four wheeler has a battery life indicator that provides a 24 volt battery system. In addition, the four wheeler comes with a charger, adjustable hand bars, and a 350-watt electric motor.
- Most new four wheelers will come with some type of limited warranty.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase a four wheeler online, some may require shipping and handling fee. You might want to pay for insurance coverage as the four wheeler is shipped.
- Like a car, you’re going to want to have your four wheeler insured. Insurance rates will vary on your age, make and model, etc. Plan on budgeting $200 a year.
- If you want to tow your four wheeler, an additional trailer will be needed.
- To customize your four wheeler, it’s going to cost you more. Your own choice of wheels could range from $800 to $1,000. You could also add a HiPer Replacement Beadlock ring that costs around $30 to $50.
- Plan on unnecessary repairs or maintenance down the road such as oil changes, etc.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand. More common brands have managed to build a reputation. For example, there’s Honda, Suzuki, etc.
- Model. The latest model would have to be more expensive compared to previous models. This is because more enhancements are done on the latest models.
Tips to know:
- If you’re a newbie with four wheeler driving, you should opt for simple ATVS. They are more reliable since you might end up with expensive repairs.
- Never get the first year of a new model. The first run of new model for the year have more teething and unexpected problems.
- If you are purchasing a four wheeler for races and competitions, you will need to ensure that you specify this to the salesman. You need to buy one that is made for this purpose. For example, a four wheeler made for extreme sports will have a more complex shock system to absorb the shock when the ATV lands after a jump.
- If you are purchasing a used four wheeler, ask the previous owner about the warranty. Some companies will allow the warranty to be transferred to the new owner.
Questions to ask:
- Does your company offer free maintenance?
- Are there any free accessories included?
- Does the company offer a warranty for the four wheeler?
How can I save money?
- There are plenty of second-hand four wheelers on the market if you are on a tight budget.
- Check out auctions. There are several four wheeler owners willing to auction off their four wheeler.
- There are ATV clubs and organizations everywhere. Ask their opinion when it comes to buying a four wheeler. They are most likely to suggest an ATV worth your money.
- Many dealers offer financing. If you cannot afford the up front payments, consider seeing what options are available out there.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|