How Much Does a Fuel Injector Cleaning Cost?
Cleaning a fuel injector is a great way to maximize fuel efficiency of your car and reduce emissions in the environment. The fuel injector is the system in your car that delivers gas to the engine. The injector is an electronically controlled valve that opens and closes many times per second. The fuel pump supplies the fuel injector with pressurized gasoline, and the injector then sprays the gasoline into a fine mist so that the engine can easily burn it. When the fuel injectors get dirty, this can restrict the fuel flow, reducing the car’s MPG ratio. The cost of cleaning a fuel injector is going to depend on the make and model of the car, your geographical location and where you plan on getting the cleaning done.
How much is it?
- On average, a fuel injector cleaning will depend on the “level” of cleaning that is required. A simple fuel injector cleaning can cost as little as $10 if you do it yourself, while a full service fuel injector cleaning can cost upwards of $80.
- For instance, PepBoys.com offers three packages that range from $9 to $90.
- According to this LATimes.com article, the average cost of a fuel injector cleaning will be around $69.
What is going to be included?
- A simple cleaning that is less than $10 will use a concentrated cleaner that is poured into a fuel tank. Mid-range cleanings can include a visual inspection, complete fuel induction cleaning, tank cleaning and eliminating any engine noises, such as knocks or pings.
- During most professional procedures, they will use what is known as a “three-step process.” During the first step, the mechanic will add the cleaner and allow the engine to idle for 15 minutes. While the engine is idling, the second step will be prepared which is usually a superconcentrated cleaner mixed with gasoline. This cleaner will be poured into a flushing cylinder that helps pressurize the contents. After the 15 minutes of idling is over with, the mechanic will disable the fuel pump and hook up that flushing cylinder. Once again, the motor will be started up and this mixture will, again, clean the injector.
What are the extra costs?
- If a new injector is needed, this can set you back around $100.
- If any other repairs or maintenance is needed, such as an oil change, additional fees can apply depending upon the service rendered.
Tips to know
- Check your vehicle’s manual to see when you should get your injector cleaned. All makes and models will vary. Many experts recommend that unless you “check engine” light comes on, there is no reason to bring it in for a cleaning. Cleaning injectors tend to be a big scam among many mechanics. If you do not have a trusted mechanic, it is always best to get a second opinion. In most manuals, they will not recommend this type of repair.
- Keep your ears peeled for the engine clanking, a rough idle, loss of power, or an engine misfire. These can all be signs of a fuel injector that may need to be cleaned. A restriction in fuel by more than 8 percent can often cause an engine to misfire.
- Older cars with pintle-style multi-port injectors are most susceptible to clogging. If you have a car of this type, you should get your fuel injectors checked about once a year or simply clean them youself.
- Before beginning the cleaning, purchase some fuel injector cleaner from the auto parts store.
- After referencing the vehicle’s manual, disconnect the injectors from the fuel pump.
- Make sure that the car is running when you connect the fuel injector cleaner. Once the cleaner has run its course, the car will stop running on its own until the pressure guage and fuel injectors are reconnected.
- After reconnecting everything, start the car to ensure that it is running properly.
How can I save money?
- Remember, unless you have a performance problem, there is no need to consider this repair. If you know this is the root of the problem and you insist on fixing it, always try to get at least three to five quotes before deciding on a professional.
- Consider doing the job on your own. There are many over-the-counter products that cost less than $10. Simply pour the injector inside of the fuel tank, let your car engine run for 15 minutes and you are done.
- Although this is a cost up front, it can help you save money in the future. If the fuel injector needs to be replaced, it will cost much more than a cleaning. Keeping the fuel injectors clean will help you avoid this. Also, having clean fuel injectors will help you save money on gas since it helps your car run more efficiently.
- Never pay more than $100 for a cleaning. If the price is higher than this, it is best to look elsewhere.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|