How Much Does Furniture Refinishing Cost?
Furniture refinishing is necessary since wood deteriorates as time passes, which happens because of the effects of the sun, air, and humidity. If you think your furniture has to be thrown to the curb, you may want to think again. Thankfully, it can benefit from some refinishing, touch-ups or a cleaning. You should only tackle a project after careful thinking about the cost and time required to do it. The required steps to make things happen must be taken into consideration as well as the amount of effort involved.
How much is it?
- The average cost of refinishing wood furniture is $250 to as much as $2,000, depending on the job that needs to be done and the piece of furniture. The extent of damage, age, and size are some of the factors to consider in the total cost of these types of jobs. The type of finish is important, too, because you will end up paying more for a high-end finish. For instance, a smaller bar stool can cost less than $100 while a larger armoire could cost upwards of $2,000. If the company is going to charge by the hour, it is more than likely going to be between $50 and $80 per hour.
- Since all jobs are going to be so unique, consider getting multiple quotes for free from services like HomeAdvisor.com.
- JHConklin.com, a furniture workshop located in Philadelphia, charges anywhere from as little as $140 to as much as $1,200. The costs heavily depend on the type of furniture that has to be refinished.
|Bar Stool||$40 to $80||$150 to $250|
|Chair||$60 to $100||$150 to $300|
|Church Pew||$20 to $50||$90 to $150|
|Dining Room Chair||$40 to $80||$200 to $300|
|High Chair||$50 to $100||$175 to $300|
|Office Chair||$40 to $100||$160 to $300|
|Rocker||$30 to $125||$125 to $325|
|3-4 Drawers||$90 to $200||$300 to $700|
|5 Drawers||$100 to $200||$500 to $1,000|
|6 Drawers||$120 to $300||$700 to $1,300|
|7-9 Drawers||$200 to $450||$1,000 to $2,000|
|Wardrobe||$120 to $300||$800 to $1,700|
|Coffee Table||$50 to $200||$225 to $1,000|
|Dining Table||$150 to $400||$500 to $2,500|
|Leaf Table||$75 to $300||$200 to $1,500|
|End Table||$50 to $150||$175 to $375|
|Antique||$150 to $250||$500 to $1,000|
|Baby Crib||$100 to $200||$250 to $600|
|Single / Double||$80 to $150||$250 to $600|
|Queen / King||$100 to $200||$450 to $950|
|Sleigh||$150 to $350||$700 to $1,500|
|Bookcase||$50 to $200||$175 to $900|
|China Cabinet||$200 to $400||$500 to $1,700|
|File Cabinet||$60 to $175||$200 to $700|
|Night Stand||$60 to $100||$200 to $600|
|Porch Swing||$100 to $300||$200 to $600|
|Trunk||$60 to $200||$150 to $600|
What is going to be included?
- During the process, the furniture will be disassembled. This will include removing legs, backs, etc. Once removed, the parts will be stripped of the finish. When they are stripped, the parts will be rinsed to remove any residue. Afterwards, they will sit in an air-cooled room to dry for up to three to five days. When dry, it will be stained. Finishes can include varnish, lacquer, polyurethane, and oil paint, latex or a catalyzed finish.
What are the extra costs?
- Reupholstery and furniture restoration usually require extra charges. Finishing inside the item, such as replacing the stuffing, might require some extra charges as well.
- Darkness, color, and shine might require extra charges. Exact color matches can bring up the price tag.
- Excessive cleaning can add to the costs.
- Luxury services are extra costs that you need to consider. You might need to pay even more if your vintage furniture requires some extra colors, or if you need to fix parts of the wood.
- If the item has to be picked up or delivered, additional charges can apply.
- If the piece of furniture is large and you need the company to come pick it up, these delivery charges will be extra.
Tips to know:
- Beauty and protection will be the result of furniture refinishing. Choose a finishing material depending on factors such as the time to do the job, the use of the furniture, type of wood, and the way you want the final product to look. Good ventilation is required to get the most out of a furniture refinishing job. You need to keep dust to a minimum and the humidity of the room must be low to create a good looking product.
- If dealing with an antique piece of furniture, you may find that you are going to have to find someone who specializes with this type of furniture. It is so important that you carefully refinish it so that you do not overdo it and ruin the look.
How can I save money?
- Thrift stores and flee markets are great places to find used furniture and have them refinished right away.
- Wood finishing will save you money if you learn to do it by yourself. There are many how-to guides on the web that can show you how most refinishing jobs can be done. However, it is a very big commitment and can take quite a long time, especially if you are not experienced.
- Many companies are more than happy to provide you a quote over the phone. Most of the time, they will ask for a picture via email. With this picture, they will be able to provide a quote.
- Consider staining the item on your own and leave the stripping up to the professionals.