How Much Do Garage Door Openers Cost?
The convenience of a garage door opener is something that cannot be underestimated. Instead of having to get out of the car and open the garage door manually, the door will open for you at the push of a button. This provides you easy keyless access to your home. Garage doors openers are capable of opening, closing and even holding the garage door steady. Most garage doors also have a sensor toward the bottom to ensure that the door does not close on anything or anyone. Garage doors are classified by their power, meaning the more horsepower they have the higher the price will be. Prices may also differ by brand, but the horsepower is the main factor for its pricing.
How much is it?
- A ½ horsepower belt drive garage door is priced at $140 to $250. The Chamberlain WD822KD Whisper Drive runs $190 to $250.
- An alternative to a belt driven garage door opener is the chain drive. A ½ horsepower chain drive garage door opener costs $120 to $200.
- If you have a big door, then you’ll more than likely need to purchase a heavy duty garage door opener. A ¾ horsepower chain drive garage door opener costs anywhere from $160 to $300.
- For added security and convenience, there are all-in-one kits available that includes a security keypad, which can be accessed by a remote, before the door opens. A ½ horsepower variety pack starts at $130 and can cost upwards of $300.
What are the extra costs?
- Most of the garage door opener kits have a remote control or two included with it; however, you have the option to purchase a universal remote control which varyies from $25 to $50.
- The installation cost can also add to the total price if you do not have the experience to install it yourself. Typical laborers will charge $200 to $500 to install a garage door opener. For double doors, the cost can go as high as $800.
What is going to be included?
- Garage door openers usually come with a remote control as well as the sensor that receives the signal.
- The installation manual and the items needed to install the garage door will be included in the package when you purchase a kit. If you have a garage that requires additional material, this will be at your added expense.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices from different stores. Online stores and your local home improvement stores should carry different types of garage door openers. This will enable you to choose the best priced garage door opener.
- Buy a garage door opener with enough horsepower but not with unnecessary horsepower. There is no need for heavy duty garage door openers if you have a small garage door.
- If you want to get the garage door installed by a professional, be sure to use services such as Service Magic that allow you to compare contractor quotes in your area.
- Of you purchase your garage door, garage door opener, and installation from the same company at the same time, you will usually receive a discount over buying each item separately.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|