How Much Does Garage Door Repair Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
If you have a garage door that is malfunctioning or not working at all, you may be in need of repair. While repair can be pricey, it will usually be less expensive than replacing the garage door altogether. With regular maintenance and quality parts, a garage door can last 20 or more years. However, cheaper garage doors or those built with low quality parts may only last five years before needing to be repaired or replaced. The garage door repair will normally need to be done by an expert in the field. These contractors can charge different prices depending on the extent of the damage, the parts needed, and the hours put in.
How much is it?
- The price or repair will vary depending on the type of repair your garage door needs. There are different areas of your garage door that may need repair. It could be the door itself or the parts attached to it such as the garage door opener. An hourly rate of $65 to $110 is usually charged by the person who will provide the repair for the repair of garage door openers. This type of repair focuses on the mechanical drivetrain and electronic parts of the opener.
- A one piece garage door that needs repair on its balance, adjustment and alignment can cost from $65 to $90 per hour, while a sectional door repair is priced from $95 to $150 per hour.
- Hardware changes can be the most expensive aspect of having your garage door repaired. Prices for hardware replacement starts from $300 to $600.
- If the entire door has to be replaced, a garage door can cost from $200 to $600 for a low end door. To have the door replaced by a professional, the total can exceed $900 to $1,400.
|Type of Garage Door Repair||Cost Range|
|Broken Door Spring||$150 to $300|
|Broken Garage Door Cable||$125 to $225|
|Broken Garage Door Track||$125 to $200|
|Misalign Safety Sensor||$75 to $125|
|Door Pulley||$90 to $150|
|Cracked Panel||$250 to $450|
What are the extra costs?
- The prices mentioned above are for the first hour on the job, but the additional hours will add up to the cost as well. Every 15 minutes of additional time can cost anywhere from $22 to $40.
- If there is a need to replace any parts, you will have to pay separately for the parts needed. Prices for replacement parts will depend on the type of parts that need replacing.
What is going to be included?
- Included with the hourly rate are the necessary tools used by the workers to work on the garage door.
- The contractor should be available to answer any questions and explain each part of the process to you if you so desire.
How can I save money?
- You can actually fix the garage door yourself if you have the right tools and the right skill set. You can purchase a book or view video tutorials online. Labor costs are quite high and it should save you a considerable amount. Ask a friend or family member to help you since this job may take more than one pair of hands.
- If the damage on the parts or the door is rather large, or if you feel that a repair would only provide a temporary solution, by all means have the entire door replaced to save in the long haul. This would be a viable solution that will enable you to save money in the long run.
- For those that want to find a contractor in their local area will more than likely want to use a service such as Service Magic. This will allow you to compare prices with local contractors to find the best quote.