How Much Does Garbage Pickup Cost?
Garbage pick-up is one of the many services that is necessary to you as a homeowner. Garbage pickup services help us take care of our garbage by coming to our homes and picking up trash, usually on a weekly basis. The cost is going to vary depending on the location of your home, the amount needed to take away, as well as other various factors. Waste Management is one of the leading companies in the garbage pickup business in the United States.
How much is it?
- Prices for garbage collection services depend on the amount of trash that needs to be collected. The payment of this service is usually collected on a monthly basis while the trash will be picked up on a weekly basis. For a 20 gallon cart, the price starts at $20 and can go up to $45 per month. Some garbage collection agencies will charge per quarter.
- A 32 gallon cart collection is also available for a slightly higher price that can range from $25 to $65 a month. A 64 gallon cart would cost you $45 to $66 a month. A 96 gallon can cost as much as $80 per month.
- Yard trimmings can be collected as well, and this is quite cheaper compared to regular garbage collection. Most garbage services will just charge a one time fee when yard waste needs to be picked up. They may also have one day pickups each month at no charge. It’s always best to get a schedule from your local company.
- Some companies charge a flat fee for anything between one and three cans of garbage. This is your best deal when it come to garbage pickup.
What are the extra costs?
- Large items that may not fit in the cart should be collected on an appointment basis. Large items are going to greatly vary in price depending on what it is. For example, a couch may cost $75 to have removed from the curb. Some companies may not do large collections. This is when you will have to call up a specialized company.
- Recycling is going to cost extra since many garbage companies do not offer this service and it must be outsourced.
- Some companies will include the first garbage can for free, but others may require that you purchase your own. This is all up to the company itself.
What is going to be included?
- If you have anything that needs to be recycled, the garbage collection service will pick this up free of charge if you are subscribed to their monthly collection plan.
- Some companies may include the garbage can or the recycling bin.
- Some services will allow once a month big pickups where they will tow away anything that does not fit into the canister.
How can I save money?
- Make sure that each cart is filled to the brim before taking it out to be collected. This ensures that each collection is maximized.
- Make sure that you subscribe to plans that would be sufficient to your needs. Do not pay for two cans per week if you will only fill one.
- Check with your homeowner’s association if you belong to one. Some will pay for your trash as part of your fees.
- Most cities have their own services that are tied into your taxes. Check with your local city to see if they are included.
- For large items and special pickup, check with people or companies you know and ask if you can put something in their dumpster. As long as you don’t take advantage of this, most friends and family with access to a dumpster will let you.