How Much Does a Garmin GPS Cost?
Garmin is one of the many companies that manufactures GPS systems. Global Positioning Satellite, or GPS, systems help you find directions or different establishments all while you’re driving or hiking. The Garmin brand provides many different varieties, features, and levels of GPS systems, allowing you to choose the one that best fits your needs. It used to be that asking for directions was only avoided because of male ego; now it is simply unnecessary!
How much is it?
- Depending on what kind of vehicle in which you will install your GPS, systems can vary from $200 to as much as $1,000 for a higher end model.
- The Garmin GPS systems are used in a wide array of vehicles, and the prices for each model differs. The most affordable GPS available for vehicles is the nuvi 1200, which has preloaded street maps for the lower 48 states. It also has the capabilities of speaking street names, allowing the driver to keep his eyes on the road. This model costs between $70 and $120, while the higher end model nuvi 775t which costs $210 to $375. This version has a widescreen display, preloaded maps for North America, and has photo navigation as well.
- Motorcycle GPS systems are also available from Garmin. The lower end model, zumo 220, has Bluetooth headset compatibility, lane assist and photo navigation features and costs $400 to $600; the higher end model zumo 665 is priced at $800 to $1,000 with cool features such as XM satellite radio functionality.
- Truck drivers know the importance of being on time; with the help of Garmin GPS, they can avoid the obstacle of getting lost. The lower end model nuvi 465T features a nifty truck-specific routing and costs $260 to $500, while the high end model, dezl 560LMT, includes Canadian truck routing and costs between $425 and $530.
What is going to be included?
- The contents of the package will depend on the model. A typical package will include the GPS unit preloaded city navigator software, lifetime maps and traffic, a FM traffic receiver with a power cable, a cup mount for your vehicles, USB cable and a quick start manual. This is going to vary. Keep in mind that some models do not include lifetime updates nor do they include some of the basic accessories.
What are the extra costs?
- You will have to install the unit in your vehicle and if you are unsure how to do it, you may have to ask a qualified technician to do this for you. The price depends on the model of the unit that you have. Most of the time, these GPS units are rather easy to install.
- If you plan to have additional features added depending on the model, you may have to subscribe for it. Re-routing features and real time traffic can cost up to $100 monthly.
- Some accessories, such as the window mount, extended cables, and others will all cost extra if you don’t want the factory included accessories package.
How can I save money?
- Buy the GPS system that is right for you. Don’t go after the ones with loaded features that you don’t actually need, as these features make the cost of the product go up. Try to identify the GPS system that would suit your lifestyle.
- Consider purchasing a GPS unit used. This could cut the price by at least 40%.
- Look for last year’s model as many models come out yearly. While it’s going to work the same, you need to make sure that you have the most current updated maps.