How Much Does a Gas Boiler Cost?
Having heat installed in a house, which can be done using a gas boiler, is as important as installing a door or a window. A gas boiler provides one of the best heating solutions in a house. This appliance eats a lot of energy, and there are several varieties of gas boilers available on the market to suit your varying needs.
How much are typical gas boiler prices?
- On average, be prepared to pay anywhere from $1,200 for a lower efficient boiler to as much as $8,500 for a higher efficient, name brand boiler. This won’t include the price of professional installation.
- There are several brands and varieties of gas boilers available on the market, but the main factor that dictates the price is the energy output a gas boiler provides. A Weil McLain gas boiler that produces 77,000 BTU and uses natural gas can cost $1,200 to $1,500.
- A gas boiler that produces a higher energy output can also be purchased. For example, a Burnham gas boiler that provides 118,000 BTU and uses natural gas can cost $1,900 to $2,700.
- For moderate sized house, gas boiler that produces more than 150,000 BTU may be recommended. A Slant Fin brand gas boiler that can produce 150,000 BTU of energy and this uses natural gas as well can cost $2,100 to $2,800.
- One of the gas boilers that produces the most energy comes from the Burnham brand. This can produce 212,000 BTU, uses natural gas, and is priced from $3,500 to $4,700.
- Newer technology gives us boilers that do not have a tank at all. For a tank-less hydronic-based boiler that produces more than 150,000 BTU, the price can vary from $2,000 to $3,100.
Factors that influence the price:
- Size of the home: The larger the home is, the more powerful the boiler will have to be.
- Insulation: Older homes are going to have less insulation compared to newer homes. Since poorly insulated homes will let in more cooler air, the boiler will have to work harder. Because of this, the professionals may recommend that you upgrade to a powerful unit.
- Windows: Like the insulation, the number of windows can influence the boiler price. Why? The more windows you have, the more likely cooler air will shift in during the cooler months. If a home gets a lot of natural sunlight, this can naturally heat a home.
- Efficiency: The higher the energy efficiency is, the more you will have to likely pay. With that higher price, though, expect to save a lot with your heating bills.
What is going to be included?
- The basic installation equipment is included with every purchase of gas boilers. This can be used to set up the boilers in the house. If your situation or set-up is rather complex, additional materials may be needed.
- If you purchase the gas boiler directly from the manufacturer, it would be possible that the installation for the product will be included as well.
- Manufacturers also provide a warranty for any new gas boilers purchased. These warranties can last from 90 days to 5 years or more.
What are the extra costs?
- Gas valves, which can cost $250 to $350, are usually needed for additional piping and added control to the flow of the gas flowing to the gas boiler.
- Filter for boilers that can maintain the cleanliness of your boiler must be purchased at $40 to $60 from any leading boiler carrier.
- For those that want to get a boiler installed, installation is going to be an additional expense. Having a boiler installed can cost $400 to $2,000, depending on the job itself. To find a low cost professional that can install one for you, consider using websites such as ServiceMagic.com to find the best quote.
- If an older boiler has to be removed and disposed of, a disposal fee can apply. This will greatly depend on the size and complexity of the job. Plan on budgeting at least $200 for this additional expense.
- Some counties and cities require that you get permits for doing such a job. Be sure to consult with your local city to see what they can do for you.
How can I save money?
- Buy gas boilers that would provide sufficient heat in your house. You do not need gas boilers that would provide a huge amount of heat if you have a small to medium house. The extra energy will definitely translate to higher gas bills.
- Provide maintenance to your gas boilers. Gas boilers are expensive and proper maintenance means that your investment will be taken care of and would guarantee longer lifespan. Tune ups can cost $50 to $250 for an annual checkup. With a tune up, you may find that you don’t even need a new boiler.
- If you have a boiler that is older than 25 years old, it’s safe to say that the boiler is only being 50 to 60 percent efficient. If this is the case, you may want to consider upgrading today. Newer models aren’t only more efficient but can help save on your gas bills.