How Much Does a Gastric Sleeve Cost?
A gastric sleeve is one of the many treatments of obesity, one of the most common problems encountered by several people or different ages. Obesity is connected to several diseases that lead to death, including coronary heart disease as well as diabetes. There are several ways to make sure that each individual maintains his weight and pursues a healthy lifestyle. Surgical procedures can be done to prevent additional weight gain and there are many procedures done with the stomach to lessen the intake of food. One of the more accepted procedures is a gastric sleeve. A gastric sleeve is a surgical procedure where an individual’s stomach is reduced to just 25% its size. A gastric sleeve can cost thousands of dollars depending on the location, the complexity of the surgery, the clinic, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- There are several institutions in the United States that offer this type of surgical procedure. A typical gastric sleeve surgery will cost you $13,000 to $23,000. This quote does not include any type of discounts that you would receive with your health insurance. If you have health insurance, you should inquire about a gastric sleeve to see what is covered since every health insurance policy varies.
- There are other countries that offer this type of surgery and they can offer the same quality of results, but the prices are greatly reduced. A gastric sleeve surgery in Puerto Vallarta, for example, can cost from $10,000 to $14,500.
- There are also hospitals that offer the complete package when offering gastric sleeve surgery. This includes anesthesia fees and the hospital facility usage. The price for this starts from $13,000 to $30,000.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the package of the procedure itself, the actual procedure is included. Most of the packages will include anesthesia and use of hospital facility. Each situation is going to vary so be sure to consult with the hospital/doctor to see what is going to be included in your case.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional medicines are required after the surgery to make sure that there is a speedy recovery. These are antibiotics that help with the healing of the surgery. This can cost $20 to $50 per bottle. Prices can be lower depending on the prescription coverage of your insurance policy.
- A hospital facility fee such as the use of the room can also cost you per night spent. If this is not included with the surgical package, it can cost upwards of $1,000 or more per night to stay at a hospital without insurance.
- A surgeon’s fee or doctor’s fee is often on top of the fees that you have to pay for. The fees are different based on the doctor’s reputation and capability.
- Follow-up appointments with the doctor are also needed after the surgery which guarantees the speedy recovery of the patient.
- Other various fees may include the x-rays, pre-op lab work, as well as anesthesia.
How can I save money?
- Compare at least 3 or 4 different clinics or hospitals. Competition between facilities ensures that patients have options to choose the most affordable clinic that can offer them the best service.
- A gastric sleeve may not be needed. Discuss healthy alternatives that can help bring your weight down.