How Much Does Genetic Testing Cost?
Genetic testing, or DNA testing, is a procedure performed to test for genetic disorders; it involves the examination of the DNA molecule itself. Genetic testing is performed for various reasons which include carrier screening, prenatal diagnostic testing, newborn screening, and others. This procedure also allows the genetic diagnosis of vulnerabilities to inherited diseases and can be used to identify the ancestry of a person. The different types of genetic tests include lab tests such as HNPCC, FAP, BRCA1, and BRCA2. The cost of genetic testing greatly depends on the institution performing the procedure, the location, and the type of test performed.
How much does genetic testing cost?
- On average, the price of genetic testing can cost anywhere from $200 to $4,000. For example, a full test for a woman with no genetic information at all can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $3,500 while a simple mutation test can cost anywhere from $300 to as much as $600.
- A HNPCC test can cost anywhere from $250 to $3,000. A FAP test can range anywhere from $230 to $1,000, while a BRCA1 and BRCA2 tests can vary anywhere from $350 to as much as $1,300.
- The lab Medicine.UAB.edu provides different types of genetic testing services. They specialize in common and rare genetic disorders, a test which is priced from $250 to $3,350.
- According to GeneticHealth.com, the price for genetic testing ranges anywhere from $235 to $1,290.
- BreastCancer.org is a great resource for anybody conducting research of a disease. The price for genetic testing according to this site ranges from $300 to $3,000.
- Some health insurance providers can cover this procedure. It is going to greatly depend upon the policy. Check with the provider as they will be able to give more information on what can be covered before the procedure is done.
What are the extra costs?
- Since genetic testing is a sensitive procedure and can cost a considerable amount of money, genetic consultation is necessary to make sure that the patient understands genetic testing even better. The price for genetic consultation can start at $150 per hour. Keep in mind that most companies are going to recommend that counseling is done after the genetic procedure is completed.
What is going to be included?
- The health care provider that will perform the test will provide the necessary services such as the obtaining of the specimen and laboratory examination. The fee will also cover the professional fee for the doctor who will explain the results of the tests. Most tests can take up to a few weeks to receive results.
- After the test has been performed, a genetic counselor will want to meet for sessions to discuss the results on what they had found. If any type of mutation has been found within the results, additional procedures may apply.
How can I save money?
- There are medical providers that can cover the expense of the test. You can ask your insurance company to get savings.
- For those who are uninsured, there are medical institutions that can provide the service at discounted price if they are paid cash.
- Check with local state health departments as many will be able to provide a discount for those that meet salary requirements.