How Much Does a German Shepherd Cost?
A German Shepherd, also known as an Alsatian, is a larger sized dog breed that originated from Germany. The German Shepherd is known for herding sheep as well as guarding them. Close to 5% of these breeds are actively registered with the American Kennel Club. The average Shepherd can weigh up to 100 pounds and can grow up to 26 inches tall. The cost of a German Shepherd is going to greatly depend upon the breeder, the location, as well as other various factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a puppy can cost anywhere from $350 to as much as $3,500 for an AKC bred puppy. Most purchases are going to fall within the $350 to $800 price tag range.
- The AKC show quality puppy can cost as much as $1,500 to $3,500. These puppies will commonly be registered with the AKC. European breeds can also fall within this higher price range.
- Older dogs that are over the age of 2 can be found for $150 to $400. It is not uncommon to find these type of dogs at your local animal shelters.
- According to Vonlotta.com, a breeder online that raises and sells German Shepherds, the cost for this particular breed can range anywhere from $1,500 to $3,500 depending on their origin as well as other various factors.
What are the extra costs?
- While it is not uncommon to find a reputable breeder within your area, you may find that AKC puppies are rather rare. Purchasing a dog across the country may require a shipping charge that can range from $150 to $400 depending on the breeder’s policy.
- A health certification and/or guarantee should always be included to ensure that you are receiving a healthy dog. This way, if something happens with your dog’s health, you can either ship the dog back or receive a reimbursement on unnecessary health bills.
- German Shepards are rather easy to train, but many opt to enroll them in obedience classes. It is ideal to send younger dogs to classes before they get too old.
- General dog maintenance in the future such as food, shelter, vet visits, and more will incur a monthly cost.
What is going to be included?
- The appropriate paperwork that may include items such as AKC registration, health records, vaccinations, and more will be included.
- Like pet insurance, mos breeders that bred German Shepherds may include some sort of hip and elbow warranty. This is going to ensure that the owner is protected from any health problems down the road.
- Medical procedures may include worming, rabies, flea control, and heartworm tests.
- Reputable breeders and shelters may include items such as sample dog food, toys, and more.
- If you are going to have your dog shipped across the country, a shipping crate will be included to ensure that the dog flies comfortable.
How can I save money?
- If you do not have your eyes set on a younger puppy, you may want to check with your local animal shelter to see if they have any available for adoption. Local animal shelters rely on donations and this will enable you to help a great cause.
- Avoid purchasing dogs from local pet stores that sell for profit. Instead, focus on purchasing these types of dogs from reputable breeders in the area. These breeders will know the most about breeding, ensuring that you receive a dog in the best of condition.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|