How Much Does a GFCI Outlet Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
The ground fault circuit interrupter outlet, better known GFCI outlet, is one of the many safety features that has been implemented in today’s home. Although outlets rarely pose a threat to the home, there is always the chance of malfunction since it is an electrical device. The GFCI outlet monitors the amount of current that flows from hot to neutral. If there is an imbalance in the current of the electricity, this feature trips the circuit, which cuts the power current to the outlet. There are many different types of GFCI outlets. Some outlets are installed within the wall while there are portable GFCI outlets. GFCI outlets are usually used in places such as the kitchen and bathroom, where larger and more powerful appliances are used.
How much is it?
- On average a portable GFCI outlet can cost anywhere from $15 to $35 while an outlet that is installed within the wall can cost $6 to as much as $20 for a commercial grade model. There are different types of GFCI outlets available and the price for the outlets usually varies depending on these difference. Portable GFCI outlets as well as permanent GFCI outlets can be purchased. The number of outlets purchased will also affect the price of the product. Commercial and residential grade GFCI outlets can also be purchased depending on the need.
- High quality and commercial grade outlets are sold for $11 to $27; these can range from 15 to 20 amps.
- Permanent GFCI outlets can cost anywhere from $6 to $17. These are 2 to 5 socket outlets that have 25 amps and 125 volts. GFCI outlets which have a 3 wire 15 amp outlet adapter can cost $10 to $12.
- For example, the highly rated Leviton 7899-W 20 Amp, 120 volt GFCI outlet retails for $11 to $21.
- GFCI Outlets is an eCommerce store online that offers several variations of this type of outlet. Portable GFCI outlets are available here, and they can be purchased anywhere from $16 to $25. These are indoor outlets that can have as many as 5 outlets.
What is going to be included?
- The outlet has a reset button that automatically tests the GFCI every time it is pushed.
- It also has a dual function LED that provides indication of power availability and alerts to a line/load reversal on installation.
- The GFCI outlet has an expanded wiring option that has nine back wire holes.
- Buyers can purchase GFCI outlets in various colors that include white, ivory and almond.
What are the extra costs?
- If you wish to install the GFCI outlet outdoors, you will need to protect it from the varying weather conditions. There is a waterproof single outlet cover outdoor receptacle protector that can cost $8 to $20.
- To make sure that the installation process goes smoothly, a tester needs to be used; a GFCI outlet tester can be purchased for $5 to $7.
Tips to know:
- GFCI outlets are generally considered to be safer compared to the regular outlets. These outlets can also help you save your appliances since the power will be disconnected before the current goes to your appliance in the event of power fluctuation.
How can I save money?
- There are stores that sell GFCI outlets in packs, which are usually sold at a discounted price. If purchasing more than 5, highly consider purchasing a commercial grade package.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|