How Much Does a GPS Chip for Your Dog Cost?
With the ever advancing technology, it has become possible for dog owners to use a global positioning system, also known as a GPS, to easily locate their pets to pin-point accuracy. The GPS tracking chip is fitted on the collar of the dog not implanted under the skin. It is important to differentiate between GPS chips for dogs and the implantable microchips. Implantable microchips simple contain information about your dog that can be retrieved by animal shelter workers. This includes the name, address, and phone number of the owner as well as any important medical information. While a GPS and a microchip are different, they can work together to prevent the loss and theft of people’s beloved pets.
How much is it?
- A GPS chip for dogs cost is determined by the number of functions it can perform. Some GPS chips for dogs can cost as little as a few hundred dollars while others cost more. On average, for a GPS chip for your dog, you should be prepared to pay around $100 to $500 for the start-up kit.
- For example, the Tagg-The Pet Tracker Kit retails for $100.
- This eHow.com article claims that you should be prepared to spend around $199 to $599 for a kit.
What is going to be included?
- A GPS dog tracking system has two functional parts: a transmitter that is fitted on the collar of the dog and a receiver which is a handheld device. Some transmitters are designed to work with your smartphone or your personal computer. The receiver gets real-time updates on the location of your dog which you can access easily by logging into the system. The receiver will run on a battery and usually lasts up to 30 days on one charge.
- Some devices will instantly alert you via text or an email if your dog is outside of its boundary. This boundary is set by you, which means that this feature can even let you know if the dog is out of the backyard.
- Most kits are designed for dogs that are over 10 pounds.
What are the extra costs?
- GPS systems normally require you to pay a service after a period of time. This is usually around $5 to $15 per month.
- Some companies also have an option of a rescue fee in case your dog does get lost.
- Some companies may charge extra for each dog that is registered with the system.
Tips to know:
- Depending on the GPS system you purchase, the range at which you can receive radio waves from the transmitter differs. You should choose a system that has a longer range so that you are able to monitor your dog over long distances as you will not able to locate your dog should it get out of range of the receiver.
- Some GPS systems incorporate instant text messages alerts. You get a real-time location of your dog by sending a unique code on your handset. The chip can also be programmed to send you an instant message should the dog escape confinement. This is referred to as virtual fencing as you get to define the boundaries which the dog should be confined to. Try to get as many features as possible.
- A good GPS system should have an option of tracking different dogs on a single receiver. This will save you the headache of carrying numerous receivers for different dogs.
- Remember that this tracking device is different than a microchip. A microchip will not track your dog; it just stores information if a vet were to find it.
- As of 2013, there is no such thing as a GPS chip that can be implanted in a dog. All GPS chips have to be attached to the dog’s collar.
- A GPS tracking device is a great way to retrieve your dog in case it gets lost. However, if the dog is stolen, the GPS tracking unit will probably not do much good. All the thief has to do is remove the collar and the GPS will no longer track the dog’s whereabouts.
How can I save money?
- You should not compromise functionality for cost. You should always consider a system that allows you to easily locate you dog. By sacrificing and going cheap, you may find that when the time comes, your system will not work according to plan.
- Getting a GPS for your dog is like buying any other item. You should do a price comparison of the GPS system available for sale. You can do so online because you will be able to do a faster comparison within a short time rather than going from one store to another.
- Most companies offer a free three to six month trial. If you are unsure of who you want to sign up with, consider trying out a few for free. Most companies provide a trial period to let your try their services before signing a contract.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|