How Much Does a Gym Membership Cost?
Joining a gym or health club can be a great way for you to get and stay in shape. A gym membership has many perks that a home gym cannot offer; however, it can also be much more expensive.
How much does a gym membership cost?
- Most gyms offer monthly memberships for between $20-$50 per month. This gym membership cost depends on the quality of the club, such as what types of facilities are offered, as well as the cost of living in you area. Most gyms also offer yearly memberships instead of monthly – these usually cost between $200 and $500. Many facilities, such as Lifetime Fitness, also offer family packages per month or year. This is usually the best value for two or more people.
- Some gyms require you to sign a contract for a specific amount of time while other gyms do not.
- According to this FatWallet thread, the average gym membership cost can range anywhere from $17 to $60. For example, a user in Pennsylvania paid $35 for a monthly membership, while a user in New York paid $50 as a monthly fee.
Name of Gym
Estimated Price Per Month
24 Hour Fitness
$30 to $45
$20 to $35
$60 to $70
$29 to $40
$30 to $40
$49 to $70
$55 to $110
** This won’t include the extras, enrollment fees or any other additional fees.
What is going to be included?
- The amenities included in your gym membership will vary from gym to gym. Usually the more things offered, the more expensive the membership will be. Some things that your gym may offer, other than the obvious workout facility, are a pool, sauna, basketball and/or racquetball courts, personal trainers, group exercise, child care (sometimes free, sometimes extra), cafe, 24-hour availability, etc.
- Many gym memberships come with one complimentary session with a personal trainer to get you started.
- Other gym memberships may also include discounts to merchants outside of the gym. This can include various food stores, supplement stores and more.
What are the extra costs?
- Most gyms require some type of application fee upon joining. It’s also known as a registration fee with some gyms.
- Additional sessions with a personal trainer will cost extra per hour.
- Some facilities charge an extra fee for child care.
- Additional classes and events may be an additional fee depending on the type of class that is taken. These classes can include yoga, cardio or strength training. Every gym will have their own policy.
- Ending a contract early can result in an early termination fee depending on the club. These fees can start at $50 and go up from there.
Questions to ask:
- What kind of contract is required? If so, how long do I need to sign a contract for?
- Can I try the gym out for free? What are the restrictions?
- What type of equipment is here? How old is it?
- What are the hours? How secure is the building? What is parking like? Is it safe?
- What are additional services that cost extra outside of the membership?
How can I save money?
- Joining a community center such as the YMCA will usually be cheaper, but the facility may not offer as much as a health club like Gold’s Gym.
- Some gyms do allow for transfer of membership to another person.
- Consider going to a gym that doesn’t require a contract. That way, you’ll be able to break free anytime just in case.
- Many larger employers have fitness programs that the employees can take advantage of. Check with your local HR department to see if there’s anything that you can take advantage of.
- Check with your local health insurance provider. Many offer discounts with local gym chains. Just show your health insurance card and you’ll be able to save some money.
- Gyms will love to advertise their services through the local newspaper. This is your chance to look for coupons to take advantage of.
- Consider paying in full as many gyms will give a great discount instead of those that pay month to month.
- Adding more family members to the membership can bring the cost down. Many gyms have group plans that allow family members to take full advantage of the gym.
- Check the local high school to see what their restrictions are when using their gym. You may find that you can use the gym during certain hours for nothing.
How to exercise for free:
- Jog around the local track at your high school. If you don’t have this track available, you may want to try to make it a habit to job around the neighborhood.
- If possible, try to bike to your work or even the local stores.
- Consider purchasing DVDs or a guide. Purchase a set of weights and work out in the comfort of your own home.
- Download a phone app, and start a fitness guide that you can follow on a daily basis.