How Much Does Hair Coloring Cost?
Professionally applied hair color can have an impressive effect on the look of your hair. While it is slightly expensive, it is still a safer and more practical venture than a home hair color kit that can possibly cause damage or be applied incorrectly. The cost of professionally applied color differs widely depending on your location, the skill of the colorist, or the type of actual treatment selected. If you are in a large city, full blown color or multi-step treatments can cost more.
How much is it?
- Each salon has different styles and methods of dyeing hair. If you want it dyed a specific color according to the shade of your hair and you roots, this could be accomplished many different ways. Typically, highlights and low lights are cheaper at around $35 to $50.
- Clairol Hydrience Color costs anywhere from $25 to $35. Clairol Natural Instincts Color will cost anywhere from $32 to $45.
- If you’d rather dye your hair with only one color, it is roughly $30 to $150.
- Home coloring is more affordable at a price range of $4 to $10 per coloring kit. This is compared to a salon coloring service, which based on the hair length, color and the method used, which can cost up to $50 and more.
What are the extra costs?
- Longer and thicker hair will generally mean extra charges.
- A more complicated procedure such as a double hair color, which involves a primary hair coloring treatment, would incur an additional amount.
- Most hair stylists expect to be tipped for any services which they provide. This tip could be 5%-20% depending on the stylists skill as well as your area.
What is going to be included?
- The actual hair dyeing materials will be included.
- The total hair coloring treatment procedure will be done by a professional stylist.
- If you opt to have it done in the salon, proper pre- and post-treatment services such as hair cleansing and blow drying will be part of your total price.
Tips to know:
- Consider going with highlights rather than a full hair color. While each will have it’s own advantages, highlights are going to be a lot cheaper.
- For those that have gray hair, most experts are going to state that blonde is going to be the best color to choose since it is easier to achieve.
How can I save money?
- Take care of your color treated hair to maximize its full effect. Failing to take care of your hair after the procedure is done may mean that you will have to come back to the salon sooner than normal.
- Ask about a referral system. There are some hair stylists who offer free color services or discounts in exchange for your referrals.
- During slow business days, colorists offer promotions or sales. Many salons will also accept competitor coupons in your area. To ensure that they do, ask before you make your appointment.
- Check into newly opened colorists or newly relocated salons since they sometimes run special deals or coupon specials.
- Check with a local styling school. Those who are learning to work with hair dye may be able to do your hair color much cheaper, and they will be supervised by a professional stylist.