How Much Do Hair Extensions Cost?
Getting hair extensions can add up fairly quick as there are many factors the need to be included in the price if you’re thinking about getting them done. Factors such as the company performing it, the quality of the hair, the type as well as the length and more all come into play.
How much do hair extensions cost?
- To get a partial hair extension, the labor alone will run anywhere from $125 to $350. To add the hair on top of this, the hair extension cost will be anywhere from an additional $200 to $500. The total average is around $600.
- For a best quality based salon, plan on spending anyhwere from $5 to $15 per extension.
- To get a full head of hair extensions, the labor alone will run from $225 to $650. On top of that, the hair will also range from another $200 to $600. The average here is around $1,450.
- For a cheaper alternative, clip ons are a temporary solution that can be rather inexpensive. The average for clip on hair extensions run from $70 to $225.
- A common type of hair extensions called hot fusion bonding start around $250 and can run all the way up to $750. The method itself uses hot glue that attaches the extensions itself directly to your hair.
- For a higher end based extension such as “cold fusion” can start at $1,300 and run all the way up to $3,500. This will depend on the length as well as the amount that is going to be needed.
- Weaving, another method that is highly popular can run anywhere from $800 to as much as $2,000.
Type of Hair Extensions
$25 to $200
$600 to $1,500
$1,000 to $2,900
$200 to $500
Real Hair (Virgin Hair)
$200 to $600
$100 to $250
$900 to $2,200
What is going to be included?
- A consultation should be included in the beginning. This is generally a free analysis to give a good estimate on what the whole process is going to run.
- Include with the overall cost, the hair as well as the labor should all be tied into the overall price. Some salons may differ with the pricing itself though.
- After the extensions are 100% done, a salon may include complimentary hair products that may help with your extensions once you get home.
What are the extra costs?
- Some salons are going to charge a labor fee on top of the hair itself. Be sure to get the overall estimate in numbers. For hair prices, BeautyTrends.com has a great list of what hair is going to cost.
- An extra application may be needed in the near future after the first application is done.
- Some products may be required for you to use once you get home. This can vary from special shampoos to other various products.
- To get them removed in the future, this will be an additional cost as well.
- As the regular hair grows, a haircut may be needed. This will be the cost of a normal haircut. Most extensions won’t last no more than six months.
Types of hair extensions:
- Adhesive-Based Fusion: This is a type of adhesive that has a low melting point that can stand both heat and other chemicals.
- Bonding: Using a latex plug, the method will use a form of glue. This is one of the fastest methods available.
- Braids: Using a braided attachment, braids will integrate the extensions into the current hairstyle.
- Coil Hair: This method involves stringing your hair through copper coils. Clamped down, this will help hold your natural hair in place.
- Cold Fusion: This is a newer technology that uses ultrasound waves rather than heat. This process allows the extension to bond closer to the scalp.
- Metal Tubing: Using a tube that is clamped over the real hair, extensions will be attached.
- Weaves: These are tiny braids that hold the extensions near the scalp. Similar to something such as corn rows, these braids are hidden. A common type of weave includes a Malaysian weaves
Tips to know:
- Always make sure that the person performing the extensions is a licensed cosmetologist. This will work to your advantage since they will be trained for the procedure.
- Always be sure to work with a procedure that they know. Most will practice one type of procedure, so it may not be ideal to go outside of their comfort zone.
- Talk with at least two to three different salons to see what they can do. Most will be more than happy to give an estimate over the phone.
How can I save money?
- Check for various discount cards. Many salons offer frequent member cards, and also assist senior citizens with discounts as well.
- Look into going to a beauty school. Many schools will do many services for a fraction of the costs.
- Some salons will allow you to bring extensions into their salon. Consider purchasing the hair extensions outside of the salon and bringing them in. By doing this, you should be able to save a few extra dollars.
- Consider doing it yourself. While the process can be tricky, there are many hair extension kits on the market. Most of these run a little more than $100.