How Much Does Hammertoe Surgery Cost?
A hammertoe is a deformity in a joint of the second, third, or fourth toe usually caused by poorly fitting shoes that force the toe in a bent position. Hammertoe surgery price depends on several factors. This is performed by specialized doctors who have various skills which can be a factor for the pricing as well.
How much is it?
- On average, a typical hammertoe surgery is priced anywhere between $730 and $12,000. This is the average price across the board and will generally include the physician fee and the anesthesia.
- If the surgery is going to require an overnight hospital stay, the price will be toward the $12,000 mark. If it’s going to be a rather simple outpatient surgery, it could be more toward the $1,000 mark. This is going to greatly depending on the complexity of the issue.
- Most insurance companies won’t cover cosmetic based surgeries, but just to make sure, you may want to contact your insurance company to discuss your deductible and co-pay to see what is covered and what isn’t. If the surgery is deemed medically necessary, there could be a good chance that the surgery is covered.
- Other institutions perform hammertoe surgery as well and they base their pricing depending on the complication of the condition. A hammertoe surgery that needs a tendon release, for example, can cost up to $150 per toe, while a more complicated surgery that requires bone surgery can cost up to $500 to straighten the toe.
What are the extra costs?
- To keep the pain level at a minimum, you are required to get anesthesia. Anesthesia is going to cost an additional $400 to $800 depending on the hospital charges.
- You may be required to stay in the hospital after the surgery as you will need to be monitored by the attending physician. Hospitalization stays can cost upwards of $2,000 per day.
- Other items such as a hammertoe splint that you can wear after the surgery which helps maintain the correction may be necessary to ensure that the toes form back into place. Other items such as pain relief and more will be prescribed to keep the pain down.
- A follow up visit with the doctor will be mandatory a few weeks after the surgery is done. This is to ensure that everything is healing properly.
What is going to be included?
- The surgeon fees are generally the only thing included in the initial price estimate. Some hospitals may also include the anesthesia. It is best to discuss your options with the hospital before surgery is conducted.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices from different medical institutions. Each surgeon or hospital is going to vary with its rates.
- Most hospitals will give a cash discount if you pay in full. This discount is an idea for those that can’t have insurance cover it. This can save up to 40%.
- There are alternatives that can be done to help ease hammertoe problems such as lotions, a corrective toe brace and more. Consider talking with your doctor to see if there are some alternatives that can be consider instead of taking the surgery route.