How Much Does Hangar Space Cost?
Having your own airplane is a very expensive investment. To house your airplane, you will need a hangar space. Hangar space is usually located in airports or airfields where airplanes land or take off. There are hangar spaces that can house small airplanes or large corporate planes. There are hangar spaces leased for personal use and bigger hangar spaces that are usually leased out to bigger companies. These are often used for air freight companies that provide freighting solutions. Hangar space rental depends on the size of the hangar as well as the location of the hangar.
How much is it?
- On average, a hangar is going to cost anywhere from $200 to $3,500 a month. It’s going to come down to the size of the hangar, the time needed, as well as the location.
- A hangar that has no amenities such as water, electricity, concrete, or heat, will be on the lower end costing from $50 to $300 a month.
- A hangar space that ranges from 1000 to 1600 square feet and is either made of asphalt and concrete flooring can cost $350 to $580 a month. These smaller hangars generally have a doorway that is spacious enough to fit planes that have 42×12 dimensions.
- Corporate hangars which can measure up to 100’ x 100’ can cost upwards of $1,500 to $3,000 per month. A state with a higher cost of living such as California is going to be closer to the $3,000 monthly price tag.
- For a daily rental of a hangar, a single aircraft hangar can be leased for $75 to $200 a day, while the entire hangar can be rented for $200 to $400 per day.
- Colder states are going to generally cost more than the warmer states due to the electric bills, insulation required to keep the hangar warm, etc.
What are the extra costs?
- Late fees are usually charged 5% of the monthly rate if it’s not paid by a specified day of each month.
- Airplane gas is an optional cost offered by those who offer leasing of hangar space. The minimum amount that can be purchased is at $1,000.
- Long term storage may require someone to check on the hangar to ensure that everything is in order. Most hangars have someone that can check on the airplane/hangar for you. This is usually an additional charge.
- Many hangars are strict with their rules. If any of their rules are violated, some fines may be applied to your bill.
What is going to be included?
- Maintenance for the aircraft is included with the rental of the hangar space. The company usually offers check-ups for the airplane.
- Office areas and use of runways will be included. This provides an accessible office for added convenience.
- Security is also provided by the airfield that leases its hangar space. The airfield ensures the safety of the airplanes that are housed in one of its facilities.
- Water and electricity may also be included if a higher end hangar is rented.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices between companies that offer hangar space. Look for the most affordable priced hangar space and get that one.
- There are hangar spaces that offer monthly leasing and can give you discounts.
- Check online through services such as Craigslist. There are many farmers that house airplanes for a lower fee compared to the airports.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|