How Much Does a Hard Drive Cost?
To save these files on a computer, you will need a hard drive, which is the main storage device used for various electronic devices. There are different types of hard drive sold on the market. The prices vary by the brand and the amount of capacity it has. Usually, the higher the capacity of the hard drive is, the higher the price will be.
How much is it?
- One of the higher capacity hard drives available today can hold up to 2 terabytes of data. An external hard drive that you can connect through a USB port that has a 2 terabyte capacity can cost anywhere from $100 to $160. An internal hard drive that is connected using a SATA cable inside the computer with the same capacity costs $80 to $160. For example, the Western Digital 2TB USB hard drive costs $99 to $130.
- If you feel that you don’t need the extra terabyte of hard drive space, you can purchase an internal hard drive with a 1 terabyte capacity. A 1TB drive will cost $67 to $136. If you prefer a compact and easy to transfer external hard drive with 1 terabyte capacity, it can cost $67 to $130.
- A 500 gigabyte internal hard drive will range from $47 to $60. A 250 gigabyte capacity internal hard drive is going to cost $38 to $53.
- A portable hard drive that can be taken from one computer to another can range from $75 to as much as $200 depending on the capacity of the hard drive.
What is going to be included?
- A manufacturer’s warranty that can vary from 30 days to as long as a lifetime is usually included in the price. This is going to vary on the manufacturer itself.
- The cables that are used to connect it to the motherboard will be packaged with the hard drive. An external hard drive comes with a USB cable.
What are the extra costs?
- If the hard drive fails, or the data on the hard drive needs to recovered, a service or software will need to be purchased. See: “How much does data recovery cost?“
- Some computer users opt to purchase additional cables just in case one fails. USB cables can start at a few dollars and go up from there.
Top brands to consider:
- Western Digital
How can I save money?
- Purchase a hard drive that will suit your needs. If you save many files, then go with the hard drive that has the higher capacity. This will save you from buying additional hard drives which can cost you more in the long run.
- All of your newer computers already come equipped with a new hard drive. There is no reason to purchase an additional one if you don’t need the space.
- Consider looking out for sales or even coupon codes from various online retailers. It’s always best to price match to ensure that you’re getting the best deal possible.