How Much Does Hardwood Flooring Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Hardwood flooring is any product manufactured from timber and used as flooring. Hardwood is said to be perfect for flooring because its characteristics are elastic and flexible. Wood flooring can be made out of many different types of wood and shades of color. Depending on these factors as well as others such as the the size of the plank and the size of the room, the prices will vary.
How much is the cost of hardwood flooring?
- On average, the hardwood flooring cost is going to range from $4 to $15 per square foot. This is all going to depend on the quality, the type, as well as the manufacture/location where you purchase it. Most boxes of hardwood flooring is going to come in 20 to 30 square foot bundles.
- For a hardwood floor that is unfinished, expect to pay $4 to $9 per square foot. A flooring that is already finished/stained can vary from $7 to $15 or more per square foot, uninstalled.
- For example, a room that measures 10×10 would cost around $400 to $900 for the supplies alone. Again, this wouldn’t include the installation price.
- A Bellawood type of wood flooring that has a maple clear finish can cost $4 to $7 per square foot. A wood flooring that offers a rich dark color such as a maple wood flooring can also cost $4 to $7 per square foot. A natural red oak finish wood can cost $4 to $6 per square foot.
- A higher quality type wood such as the Brazilian walnut can cost $8 to $12 per square foot.
- Another type of flooring that is getting popular is bamboo floors. Bamboo floors can run $5 to $7 per square foot. For more information, see: “How much do bamboo floors cost?“
Type of Installation
|Stapled||$2 to $5||$1 to $2||$2 to $4||$5 to $11|
|Floating||$2 to $4||$2 to $3||$2 to $4||$6 to $11|
|Glued||$3 to $6||$1 to $3||$2 to $4||$6 to $13|
Note: Numbers noted above are per square foot.
What is going to be included?
- A warranty is generally provided by most companies where the hardwood flooring is purchased. The length of the warranty will depend on the type of wood, as well as the company that provides it.
- Some wood floors com packaged in sections while others come in individual planks. This will depend on the brand, store, and type of wood.
What are the extra costs?
- Installation costs can add up to the total price. On average, companies and contractors will charge $2 to $5 per square foot to install. Take a look at the chart above for some good ideas.
- Underlayment provides cushioning to prevent moisture build up underneath the flooring. A 100 square feet roll will cost $16 to $30.
- A border that matches the hardwood flooring can cost $1 to $5 per square foot depending on the quality of the border.
- If you need to have your older flooring torn up, contractors will charge to rip up the older flooring as well as to dispose of it. If you have furniture that needs to be moved, this will be an additional expense as well.
- Preparing the subflooring can add to the overall quote. If the concrete or subfloor has to be prepped or fixed, additional charges can apply.
How can I save money?
- Compare wood flooring through various merchants. By checking with 2-3 companies, you should get a general idea on what it’s going to cost you. Many online retailers will offer a smaller sample to match the color. These can cost $1 to $3. When choosing a company, just make sure that you ask for references and licenses. Don’t deal with companies that you’re unfamiliar with.
- You can install the wood flooring yourself to save up on cost in paying contractors. However, if you feel you lack the skills, try to find a contractor that can provide the best price for you. Services such as Service Magic can help you match up contractor’s quotes in your area.
- If you really need the flooring right now, most companies are more than happy to offer financial assistance. This can include a line of credit or some sort of credit card. If you’re lucky enough, some will offer 0 percent for a limited time.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|