How Much Does Hauling Horses Cost?
There are companies that offer the service of hauling horses. They provide extra care and comfort for the horses while being transported to ensure that the horses are still in their peak condition when they reach their destination. There are several factors considered when pricing the services of hauling horses. The distance between the origin and the destination plays a big factor for the price as well as the size of the horse that needs to be transported.
How much is it?
- Most companies are going to charge per horse as well as per mile. For example, each horse may cost $2 each per mile. On average, expect to pay $1 to $4 per horse, per mile. For a 200 mile trip that includes 2 horses, it will more than likely cost $400 to $800 for the trip alone.
- The average price for hauling a single horse is between $1 and $3 per mile. There are other companies that require a minimum travel distance of at least 30 miles.
- Items that can influence the price can include the total weight of the horse, the breed as well as if the horse is going to require any type of specific needs.
What are the extra costs?
- Toll fees are paid on top of the initial fee. The price for toll fees depends on the area to which your horse will be transported.
- An additional hour fee is also charged by companies that charge per hour rather than per mile. It usually cost $30 for additional hour on top of the original charge.
- Sedatives are sometimes used to calm horses that have issues while being transported. These sedatives can cost anywhere from $20 to $100. These will have to be prescribed by a licensed veterinarian.
- The prices will fluctuate with the gas prices as well. The higher the gas price, the more this price average can rise.
- If the horses aren’t up to date with their tags, many shipping services will require that all tags are up to date before transport. The same can be said about vaccinations as well.
- If the horse has special needs or requirements that are different from the average horse haul, additional fees can apply.
What is going to be included?
- Hauling of equipment and tack is included for the horse that is being transported. The carrier will ensure that the horses remain healthy throughout the entire trip.
- Some people that charge by the hour will not include the loading time of the horse as part of the time spent transporting the horse.
- Driver and insurance is also covered by the initial payment.
How can I save money?
- If you have more than one horse to be transported, it’s a good idea to look for a company that will haul the horses all at the same time since most will provide discounts for 2 or more horses.
- Be sure to compare at least three companies before signing a contract. Companies such as UShip can help you find transporters in your area at a low cost. Many are more than happy to provide a quote over the phone or on the internet before signing up.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|