How Much Does a HDMI Cable Cost?
An HDMI, or High Definition Multimedia Interface, cable is a compact digital audio and video transmitter of uncompressed digital data. The HDMI cable is the digital alternative to regular analog standards. HDMI is featured in many digital entertainment devices such as blu ray players as well as different camcorders and video game consoles. The result is a clearer picture and excellent sound clarity that far exceeds the capabilities of regular analog cables. The price of the cable depends on the quality and length of the cable.
How much is it?
- On average, a HDMI cable can cost anywhere from $2 to as much as $20. While there are cables that can be more in the $50 price range, most HDMI cables are going to work the same, so it is essential that you do your homework before spending 3 to 5 times more than the industry average.
- The longer the cable, the more you are likely going to pay. Standard lengths that these cables come in include 3, 6, 10, 15 and 25 feet.
- For example, the highly popular HDMI 6 foot cable manufactured by DVI Gear retails for $3 to $20. The Link Depot cable that reaches up to 25 feet retails for $7 to $23.
- One of the most popular stores online that sells HDMI cable is MonoPrice.com. This site is very popular due to the fact that they sell high quality HDMI cable of varying lengths, but at low prices. They sell HDMI cables for anywhere from $2 to $64 that can reach up to 100 ft.
- A local store such as RadioShack.com also offers different brands of HDMI cables that can cost anywhere from $10 to $30 depending on the brand.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs are the additional length of cable that you may need to connect the 2 devices you will use it with.
- If you want to hide your HDMI cables, a professional may be needed to hook them up to your flat panel TV, especially if it is mounted to the wall.
- HDMI cables that have gold plates or other material such as platinum can cost upwards of $175 to $500 or more.
What is going to be included?
- HDMI cables usually come with a limited warranty from the manufacturer. The tips of the cables will also have protected plastic covering to ensure that it does not acquire moisture or rust while in storage.
Top brands to consider:
- Link Depot
How can I save money?
- Just because a HDMI cable is under $10 does not mean that you are going to get what you pay for. The best place to purchase a cable is online. By purchasing one online, you will be able to check out reviews as well as read the pros and cons.
- Consider staying away from cables that cost more than $50. Stores such as Best Buy push them because of the higher profit margin. While the employees may claim that these cables can do more than the regular cables, there will be no difference and you’ll just be wasting your money and giving those employees a bonus.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|