How Much Does a Headstone Cleaning Cost?
If you want to preserve the headstone of your loved one, it is important that you clean it regularly. You certainly do not want a person’s headstone to become dirty and look abandoned.
Most of the time, the cemetery will offer this service to its families. If they do not, they will most likely be able to recommend a reliable company for you to use.
How much is it?
- If you choose an annual headstone cleaning option, the cost may vary from $50 to $250 depending on the type of service you require. The rates are usually for three annual visits and you may have to pay extra if you want any additional service. If you want a one-time headstone cleaning, the costs are usually around $20 to $50.
- For example, Coastal Grave Cleaners charge $20 to $60 depending upon the service you want.
What is going to be included?
- Before a cleaning, the company will inspect the site, check with the local rules and regulations, and provide you with an estimate.
- The cleaning cost usually includes removing algae and mold, debris removal, grass trimming, metallic plaque polishing, detailed cleaning of engraved letters, artificial floral arrangement and complete rinsing and cleanup.
- Many headstone cleaning companies prefer to do the cleaning on a rainy day since it makes the cleaning easier.
What are the extra costs?
- If you want to add an additional inscription to the existing headstone, you may have to pay extra. If the existing inscription is becoming faded or illegible, you may need to have it engraved again.
- The costs may increase if you want to replace the existing stone and replace it with a new one.
- If you want photos of the headstone before and after it is cleaned, you also need to pay extra.
- Lighting and decoration for special days and cemetery mapping are some of the extra cost that you need to think about when you take advantage of these services.
- Travel and fuel may be an additional charge.
Tips to know:
- When choosing a headstone cleaning service, it is important that you choose those who use eco-friendly products so that they do not cause any damage to the headstone.
- Each cemetery has rules and regulations and these needs to be followed during the cleaning process.
- Never use WD 40, car wax, oils, waxes or dyes when cleaning a headstone. You should also avoid any type of household cleaners since they contain harsh chemicals.
- Wire brushes or scrub brushes are not recommended. These may seem to give it a great clean, but it can also do damage. This may not be visible to the naked eye, but over time it can scratch the surface of the stone.
- If you want to try to clean the headstone yourself, make sure that you do the proper research. What may work for one type of headstone may not work for another. You need to consider the type of stone (marble, limestone, sandstone, etc.) and the type and amount of engraving. Try the cleaning solution and process on a hidden part first, perhaps on the back toward the bottom, to make sure you are not doing any damage.
How can I save money?
- Some of the cleaning websites offer senior citizen discounts. You may be able to get discounts if there are multiple grave sites at the same location that need to be cleaned. Although there are hundreds of headstone cleaning services, it is best to choose those that offer you the most competitive rates so that you are able to save money.
- It is also significant to shortlist the different cleaning services and read reviews so that you are able to make an informed choice. The cleanup of headstones can help restore the honor and dignity that your departed loved ones deserve.
- If you live close to the cemetery, consider cleaning it on your own using recommended cleaners. BottandSons.com shows you which cleaners you should use.
- Purchasing a package of cleaning services that include a couple of years will be cheaper than paying for each year individually.