How Much Does Heartworm Treatment Cost?
Heartworm treatment is a procedure which attacks a parasitic roundworm that resides in the pulmonary arterial system. The heartworm is a thread like worm that usually lives in dogs, cats, wolves and other animals. While they can also infect humans, this only happens in very rare circumstances. There are different ways to remove heartworm from the host, but drug treatment is the most common treatment performed on animals today. The price for the treatment depends on the type of treatment that will be used to get rid of the heartworms as well as the weight of the dog.
How much is it?
- On average, the complete treatment process can cost anywhere from $150 to as much as $1,000. Larger dogs are going to cost more than a smaller dog.
- For example, a woman in Tennessee brought her Great Dane into the vet’s office for heartworm treatment. After everything was said and done, the final bill was $735.
- A series of injections that can last up to more than 3 visits can cost $350 to $700. This will depend on the veterinarian fees and the weight of the dog.
- Over the counter medication can be purchased online or through pet stores. These tablets can cost anywhere from $15 to $45. Because these are not as effective as a vet treatment, it is best to consult with a professional before administering these drugs.
- According to the site ForgottenPaws.com, the price for the treatment of heartworms ranges between $500 to $1,000.
- According to a forum thread over on the website I-Love-Dogs.com, users had stated that they had paid anywhere from $1,000 and go up from there. Once the dog has been treated, the cost of the medication can range anywhere from $6 to $15 per month.
What are the extra costs?
- The initial visit to the veterinarian as well as the lab work and tests involved in detecting the heart worm will be additional costs. Your vet may also require some follow up tests which will cost more as well.
- Additional medication will be required down the road once the treatments have been done. Medication can cost upwards of $20 per month.
What is going to be included?
- Prior to any treatments, the vet will assess the animal to determine the risk. He will rate it on 4 different levels. Once the appropriate levels are determined, a treatment will be administered either orally or with an injection.
- The payment will include the fee for the hospital accommodation which is needed to make sure that the doctors will be able to look after the patient. The fee will also include the payment for the doctor that will take care of the patient, as well as the diagnosis of the condition.
How can I save money?
- Check with local rescues or animal shelters. Many have great connections with veterinarians that will perform the procedure at a fraction of the cost.
- It is best to talk with at least 2 to 3 vets before bringing the animal in. Many vet offices are more than happy to give a quote over the phone.
- The best and cheapest treatment for heartworm is simple preventative treatment. Give your pet monthly heartworm treatments to avoid this cost altogether.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|