How Much Does Hematoma Ear Surgery Cost?
Hematoma ear surgery is a surgical procedure performed to treat a swollen ear in a pet. The swelling of the ear is usually caused by blood vessels that ruptured inside the ear flap which is between the inside and the outside layer of the cartilage. If this condition is left untreated, it can cause a scar which is similar to a cauliflower ear. The cost for hematoma ear surgery depends on several factors such as the the price the vet will charge, the type of procedure that will be done, and the location.
How much is it?
- On average, the procedure can cost anywhere from $100 to as much as $600. This can depend on how severe the problem is as well as the size of the dog.
- According to the site TeleVets.com, the price for hematoma ear surgery ranges anywhere from $400 to $600.
- VetInfo.com provides information about the condition as well. They suggest that the price for the surgery can be anywhere from $400 to $500. They also give insights on how to properly address the condition in its earlier stages.
- According to a forum thread that was on the website HomesteadingToday.com, dog owners had stated that it would cost anywhere from $300 to as much as $800 depending on the geographical location.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs would involve the additional visits that you will have to make to the doctor. The price for the veterinarian depends on the amount provided by the doctor.
- Dogs with complex health histories such as being a geriatric can alter the price since it can alter the anesthesia process.
- After the procedure is done, oral medications will be provided. This medication will have to be taken for up to 10 days in order to keep the infection from coming back.
What is going to be included?
- During a simple procedure, the hematoma on the ear will be alleviated by removing the fluids. After the fluids are removed, the ear will be injected with a drug known as cortisone. Once the fluid has been drained from the ear, the ear will be sewn back together.
- For more advanced surgeries, the fluid will be drained from the ear. Once the fluid has been drained, the clots will be removed using a tool called a hemostat. When all the clots are removed successfully, the ear will be sewn together. Ibah.com has a step by step guide on how on the process works.
How can I save money?
- Try to make sure that the vet provides the most accurate information and check if surgery is the best treatment that can be provided to your dog. There are other alternatives that you may want to consider and you can ask your doctor about these. This is a rather painful problem that a dog can have and it’s best to fix it as soon as possible.
- There are times when this type of ear problem can go away on its own. If caught early enough, a simple drain should be more than enough to resolve the problem. It is always best to get an expert opinion.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|