How Much Does a Hemorrhoidectomy Cost?
A hemorrhoidectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove a hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are vascular structures in the anal canal that help with stool control. This part of the anal can become swollen or inflamed. Hemorrhoids are usually present when itching, bleeding and rectal pain occurs. External hemorrhoids are painful while internal hemorrhoids usually are not unless they become thrombosed or necrotic. The price for a hemorrhoidectomy depends on the type of hemorrhoid that needs to be removed as well as the location where the procedure will be performed.
How much is it?
- On average, the procedure to remove a hemorrhoid can range anywhere from $500 to as much as $18,000. Most treatments are going to fall within the $2,000 to $6,000 price range.
- A simple procedure known as “banding” where bands are placed to control the circulation can cost $500 to $2,000. The most expensive method which is surgery can cost upwards of $8,000 to $18,000.
- For those with health insurance policies, this type of procedure will be covered as long as it is deemed medically necessary. Since all health insurance policies are different, it is best to consult with the insurance company to get notified on what is going to be covered in terms of deductibles and co-pays.
- According to the site SurgeryCosts.net, the price for the procedure ranges anywhere from $1,300 to $18,500. The website SteadyHealth.com states that most treatments are going to range from $1,800 to $6,450.
What are the extra costs?
- Depending on the severity of the issue, a consultation will be required to discuss the options that can arise. This consultation will usually be charged as a visit that can range from $100 to $200.
- The after surgery care that requires medicine and visits to the doctor are considered additional costs. Doctor visits may start at $100 per visit, while the medicine prices differ depending on the type.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the procedure, a rubber band ligation can be wrapped around the base of a hemorrhoid easing the pain and cutting off the blood supply. After a few days, the band will fall off. During a surgery, patients will be placed under general anesthesia where the hemorrhoids are removed.
- The fee for the surgery will cover the cost of the whole procedure including the equipment and room that will be used during the surgery. The price will also include the services of the surgeon that will perform the procedure.
Tips to know:
- For those that are on the fence with getting this surgeries, candidates that either have a persistent itching, a lot of pain or even blood clots should highly consider meeting with a professional to consider this type of procedure.
- Since this procedure is performed under a local anesthetic, the patient can normally go home that day as long as the procedure goes smoothly.
How can I save money?
- You can ask your health insurance provider to check if the procedure can be covered since this is a health risk. Also, check for alternative solutions to avoid surgery.
- Consider having this procedure done in an out-patient center rather than a hospital setting since hospital fees can be avoided.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|