How Much Does a Hermit Crab Cost?
A hermit crab is long with a soft abdomen. Hermit crabs are notorious for using shells as protection for themselves from predators. As the hermit crab grows, it will have to find a larger shells that fit their body shape. With over 1,000 species, hermit crabs are commonly found in saltwater, around shallow reefs, or on the deep sea’s floor. Hermit crabs can commonly be found at home in tanks as pets. The cost of a hermit crab will depend upon the species, size, as well as the store selling it.
How much is it?
- On average, a hermit crab can cost anywhere from $4 to as much as $12.
- Kits that come included with everything that is required for the crab’s survival such as sand, food, shells and water can cost anywhere from $18 to $43 depending on the retailer.
- A pet store retailer such as PetSmart sells Hermit Crabs at their local shops for $5.49 to $6.99.
- An online retailer such as Hermit-Crabs.com sells crabs for $7 to $12.
What are the extra costs?
- Hermit crabs tend to like company, so it is ideal to purchase more than one of them to keep them occupied in their homes. They are very social creatures.
- A rule of thumb is that the tank should be at least one gallon per two crabs. The tank should be equipped with materials such as sand, gravel, or bark based bedding. Tanks and bedding can cost anywhere from $10 to $35 depending upon the setup required.
- To prolong a crabs life, it is ideal to have a climate controlled environment. Temperature gauges can be purchased to ensure that environment is warm enough.
- Hermit crabs eat food such as fresh vegetables or hermit crab food that comes pre-packaged.
- Since these crabs have a soft abdomen, it does not come with a shell naturally. It is ideal to introduce a crab to shells of various shapes and sizes since they can outgrow them over time.
Tips to know:
- The temperature in a hermit crab’s tank should never be below 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures that are consistently low can do great damage to the hermit crab, if not kill them.
- Hermit crabs tend to do well in a tropical atmosphere. Make sure that the tank not only has a tropical feel, but make sure that the temperatures are at a consistent rate and the humidity level hovers around 70%.
- Allow enough sand in the tank so that the hermit crabs can burying themselves if need be.
- With their water bowl, always make sure that the water isn’t too deep because they can easily drown in it.
What is going to be included?
- The most common type of crab that is kept as a pet includes the Caribbean, Australian, and Ecuadorian. While most crabs found at a local pet store only live for a few months, there are some species that can live more than 20 years. It is crucial that a new owner learns the proper procedures when taking care of a new crab.
How can I save money?
- Check local pet stores for kits. This is a great way to get everything all at once.
- When purchasing from local pet stores or even online, many will offer discounts for those purchasing more than one crab at a time.