How Much Does Hernia Repair Surgery Cost?
A hernia is a small hole in the abdominal wall, which contains the abdominal organs. When this hole is formed, the pressure on the abdomen will cause the contents of the organs to push through the surrounding tissue, which looks similar to a bubble on a tire. The newer techniques of hernia surgery involve a mesh type product that is placed underneath the hernia defect. This mesh will minimize the pain as well as lower the chance of the hernie reoccurring. The most common types of hernias include Inguinal, Umbilical, Femoral, Ventral, and Epigastric. The cost of hernia surgery is going to depend upon the location, the surgeon, the type of hernia, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, typical hernia surgery can cost anywhere from $4,900 to as much as $15,500, depending on the type of hernia surgery that has to be done. According to a study done in 2007, the average price for hernia repair was, $8,197.
- An open hernia surgery done through the groin or abdomen can cost an average of $5,900 to $11,000, while a laparoscopic surgery can cost anywhere from $4,900 to $9,000.
- For those that have health insurance, this procedure will be covered most of the time. Since all health insurance plans vary, it is important to know more about your policy in terms of the co-pays and deductibles.
- Surgeries can be delayed with an item called a “hernia truss.” This truss will support the bulging organ and can cost anywhere from $25 to $100.
- According to the website SteadyHealth.com, the users on that website stated that they had paid anywhere from $14,000 to as much as $25,000 for the procedure without any type of insurance.
What are the extra costs?
- Pain medication will be prescribed after the procedure is done. Most experts will want the patient to stay home for at least 2 to 3 days before any sort of activity is done.
- For complex surgeries, additional hospital stays may be required depending upon the situation. Each additional stay can cost upwards of $1,000 a night.
What is going to be included?
- During the procedure, an incision will be made large enough so that the hernia can be reached. Using an instrument or a camera, the surgeon will be able to monitor the progress while he performs the repairs. The area will be reinforced with a mesh like material.
- Most procedures will be done in an outpatient center. Depending upon the situation, the patient may be able to go home that day, or a hospital stay up to 3 days may be required. The surgery can take up to an hour to perform.
How can I save money?
- Check with the hospital to see how they assist those with lower incomes. If a family falls within a certain income bracket, a discount can be provided. These prices and discounts are going to vary from facility to facility.
- If you do not have health insurance, many hospitals will give discounts for cash payments. For those that are having a hard time meeting payments, many can set up monthly plans as well. Consider talking with the hospital ahead of time to see what they can do.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|