How Much Does a Hidden Camera Cost?
A hidden camera allows you the ability to monitor a situation without those involved knowing. These types of cameras are used for situations such as spying on someone, watching the nanny while you are away, or even try to catch a thief in the act. Whatever the case may be, the cost of a hidden camera will depend on the size, features, brand and where it’s purchased from.
How much is it?
- On average, tiny hidden cameras can retail anywhere from $15 to as much as $500. This price is going to be based on the quality of the camera, its size, design, the manufacturer, and the retailer selling it.
- Hidden cameras are often built into household objects such as a smoke alarm, an alarm clock or even a teddy bear.
- The highly rated 2.4 Ghz wireless surveillance system that is manufactured by JMC retails for $35 to $45. This particular model hooks up to an AC adapter for a camera and receiver.
- The COP USA SDR35 smoke detector has the camera built right into it. This can hang from the ceiling or even be installed on the wall.
- A higher end hidden camera can have infrared technology that allows you to see in the dark; they can also have motion detection and can even work with your smartphone. These cameras will often retail for $300 to $600.
- DynaSpy.com, a massive spy shop, has a wide variety of hidden cameras listed for sale. The prices of their cameras can range anywhere from $99 to as much as $600.
What are the extra costs?
- Some cameras are going to be stand alone camera, which mean that you are going to have to purchase a separate DVR on which you can record. Depending upon the camera, some may just require a smaller memory card.
- While it is not necessary, a TV or computer monitor may be needed in order to watch the camera live. A low-end computer monitor will generally be enough to get the job done. One usually can cost as low as $50.
- An extra AC adapter is a wise choice just in case the first one burns out or breaks down.
- Some opt to have their camera professionally installed within the home. Depending on the setup of the home, installation costs can widely vary.
What is going to be included?
- A smaller low-end camera will come with an AC adapter and a video cable that can be plugged into a local DVR.
- Most name brands will include a warranty that can last up to a lifetime.
- The appropriate brackets in order to ensure that the camera is installed correctly will be provided.
- For higher-end cameras, software packages may be included in order to use the camera with your computer.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a higher-end camera used. These cameras can often be found on websites such as eBay and even Craigslist. Because these are stationary cameras that are not used very often, previously owned cameras will likely be in good condition.
- Hidden cameras often tend to cost more than a traditional camera. If you want to spy, it would probably be best to get this type. If your sole purpose is simply to record for the sake of recording, it would be best to purchase a whole home kit.