How Much Do Highlights Cost?
Highlights are one of the coloring techniques used in hair salons today. When it comes to coloring hair, there are many different options and combinations available. Instead of dying all of the hair, highlights simply dye portions of it that will complement the overall color of the hair. Once you get highlights and coloring done to you hair, you will have to continue to get it done on a regular basis to keep the color. Otherwise your roots will grow out and reveal that your hair’s color is not natural.
How much is it?
- On average, highlights can cost anywhere from $75 to as much as $300. The factors that affect this price are the reputation of the salon and the stylist, the length and color of your hair, the color you wish to dye your hair, and the number of highlights desired.
- The length and thickness of one’s hair can often cause the price to fluctuate. Those with hair that is past their shoulder may pay about % more than someone that has hair that is only slightly past their ears.
- Some salons may charge per foil or even per hour. If the salon charges per hour, the rates generally start at $25 per hour.
- According to the website WeddingBee.com, women stated that they paid anywhere from $110 to as much as $300 for highlights. They also stated that states such as California and New York are going to be the priciest of them all.
What are the extra costs?
- A hair cut, wash and shampoo will generally be additional to the highlight charge. Some salons may include the initial wash, but it will really depend upon the salon’s pricing policy.
- Touch ups may be needed a few weeks after the initial process. Generally, the touch ups are going to cost 50% -75% less than the initial highlight job. While optional, touch ups may be necessary in order to maintain the proper color.
What is going to be included?
- The most common type of highlights will be done using a foil wrap. The foil will wrap around the hair that is going to be highlighted. Another way that can also be used is painting your hair. This method is not used very often.
- During the procedure, the stylist will wash your hair thoroughly. After your hair has been washed, a stylist will then combine the necessary chemicals to form a mixture. Applying the mixture to your wet hair, the stylist will place the dye within the foil. After the foils and dye have been applied, you will have to sit underneath a hair dryer to allow the dye to dry.
Tips to know:
- The average highlight job will take anywhere from one to four hours depending on the amount of hair that has to be highlighted.
- If you want to maintain your hair color after the highlights, most salons will recommend that you come back every six weeks or so. This will greatly depend upon your hair-growth rate.
How can I save money?
- If you want to save money, consider going to a local salon or even a beauty school. These schools will often take walk-in guests and often perform the job at a fraction of the cost.
- Consider looking for coupons on local websites such as Groupon.com. Salons love to advertise their services on these websites. If you time it right, some salons often offer up to 70% off their services.
- If you are on a strict budget, consider doing the highlights with a friend. Highlighting products can cost as little as $5 and can take only a few hours if done properly.