How Much Does Hitch Installation Cost?
A trailer hitch gives a car, truck, or van the ability to carry or tow things that other vehicles are not able to. Depdning on the type of hitch and type of car, you will be able to pull things such as a boat, jet skis, a trailer, etc. If your current car, truck or SUV does not have a hitch, many cars can often have one installed. This can only be done on cars or trucks that have some sort of towing package. The cost of having a hitch installed will greatly depend on the type of hitch, the make and model of the car, and the company performing the job.
How much does hitch installation cost?
- On average, most shops are going to charge anywhere from $50 to as much as $250 to completely install the hitch. The geographical location can often play a role, so expect to pay more in a high cost of living state such as California. This installation cost may or may not include the hitch.
- A popular place such as Uhaul.com can install trailer hitches on any make and model of vehicle. They will include the parts, wiring, and even a warranty. The prices will greatly vary depending up the make and model of the car, but can range anywhere from $200 to $300. For example, a 2009 Toyota Corolla would cost $230 for the complete job.
- SocialTrailRiders.org, a forum that is designed for those that ride, the average price that most paid was anywhere from $100 to $250. Some quotes included the hitch, while others had to pay extra for the hitch.
What are the extra costs?
- Some shops are going to include the hitch for the car, while others are going to make you purchase it separately. Each car will be different when it comes to having a hitch installed. Plan on spending around $50 to $250 for a high-quality hitch. For instance, the highly rated Curt Manufacturing 11469 retails for $118 to $200.
- A hitch ball will have to be installed on the hitch. Some kits are going to include this, while others may make you pay extra. A hitch ball can usually cost $5 to $20. This will all depend on the size of the ball.
- In order to make sure that the lights work on the trailer, an extra wiring kit may be required.
What is going to be included?
- A trailer hitch is going to fit a particular make and model of car. Included with most kits will be the ball mount, the pin and clip.
Tips to know:
- Each kit can fit a different make and model. It is essential that you know which kit is going to fit. If it is not ment for your type of car, you could encounter problems or cause damage to your car. If you do not know what kind of hitch you are going to need, consider using either Amazon’s search engine or even call the local dealership.
- Always know how much your car can tow before hooking something up such as a boat. If your car, SUV or truck is not capable of towing the desired amount of weight, you may find that you can do a lot more damage than good. You can usually find the amount of weight that it can pull on the car’s official website.
How can I save money?
- This is a relatively easy job that only takes less than a hour to complete. Consider trying to install it yourself before calling a shop. Many kits will come equipped with detailed instructions that are very easy to understand.
- Try to avoid the local dealerships. Many dealerships will charge a lot more than a local place such as U-haul.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|