How Much Does a Hot Dog Cart Cost?
A hot dog cart is a portable way to sell hot dogs on city streets. Hot dog carts are perhaps one of the easiest food businesses that you could start on your own. While these are referred to as hot dog carts, the possibilities are not exclusive to hot dogs.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a hot dog cart is going to cost between $2,000 and $6,000. However, premium carts can fetch prices higher than $10,000.
- On the website of Willydogs.com, they list their hot dog carts for anywhere from as little as $2,000 to as much as $17,000 for their original stand-in carts.
What is going to be included?
- Basic hot dog carts are going to come with a steam table, insulated cooler, hand sink, steam pans, storage space, umbrella, brake lights and even turn signals to be used when the cart is being towed.
- Typically, the simplest cart should have an area on which you can post signs and perhaps an umbrella to shade your customers when buying. Of course, the other basic parts that are going to be included will be a condiments area, fittings, water pressurized sections, and the cooking tools.
What are the extra costs?
- Perhaps the most noted extra cost that you would have to work with is the business permit. Licenses and registration fees from the local business bureau would depend on the location in which you will run your hot dog cart.
- Overhead costs would include water and electricity, and this would be based on the usage of the cart. You will also need to think about the supplies you will need to buy, such as the food and condiments.
- If purchasing online, you may have to pay additional shipping costs.
- It is suggested that you take some type of food preparation class to learn how to properly handle food and keep your hot dog cart sanitary.
Factors that influence the price:
- The foremost element that affects the pricing of the hot dog cart will be the size. The bigger the cart is, the higher the potential price that goes along with it.
- Additional features such as condiment containers and surface barbecue areas would also add to the costing of the hot dog cart.
- Accessories such as propane tank baskets and steel side shelves would also be added costs. However, these could also make your cart easier to run and add to your business, and may therefore be well worth the cost.
Tips to know:
- Buy the hot dog cart from a reputable seller as the warranty for any defects that you may discover in the future will be honored.
- Find a cart that will make you comfortable to operate. While the business is certainly done at your own time, you still need to make sure that it is comfortable to work with.
- Choose a cart that has a decent appeal and attraction. This means you need to make sure the car looks clean as customers will be more attuned to choose a seller that offers cleaner environments. It would also be helpful if you decorated your cart in an alluring way. You could also come up with a creative name for your cart, one that will be memorable to the customers. Another idea that could attract customers is playing upbeat music that will lighten the mood of the busy streets. These things, along with friendly, good customer service, will keep people coming back to your hot dog cart.
How can I save money?
- The best way for you to save money on the hot dog carts would be to choose one that will offer you a complete set of cooking tools. Usually, when you choose a cart that comes with the least amount of features, you will have to add them later anyway. Hence, you are merely adding to the costs of the overall hot dog cart rather than minimizing them.
- If you do not mind, consider purchasing a cart used. By purchasing used, you can potentially save thousands of dollars.