How Much Do Bananas Cost?
Bananas come in many sizes and even colors. Although yellow bananas are the most common, especially in the united State, they can come in other colors such as red and purple. Bananas are native to tropical areas such as Southeast Asia, but these fruits can be commonly found in any farmer’s market or grocery store near you. The cost of bananas is going to vary depending on the grocer, the time of the season, and the number you need to purchase.
How much is it?
- At your local grocery store, bananas are going to cost anywhere from .30 to $1 per pound. A local farmer’s market may charge less than your local franchise grocery store.
- Wholesalers such as Costco will sell pre-packaged bananas that come in 2 or 3 pound bags. These can cost anywhere from $1.50 to $3.
- Exotic bananas like the red and purple ones can cost between $1 and $3 a pound.
- As an example, a farmer’s market in the Asian markets of San Francisco, California, generally sells their bananas for $.30 to $.60 a pound.
- Organic bananas are usually going to cost a little more, ranging from .75 to $2 a pound depending on the season.
What are the extra costs?
- Those that want to eat organic bananas are going to pay a higher price compared to the ones that were sprayed with pesticides, etc. The price will usually be 20-40% more in some markets.
What is going to be included?
- Most will simply come rubber-banded together or bagged for freshness. Most grocery stores allow you to take the specific ones you want from the shelf.
- Choosing the right bananas for you is based on personal preference. The greener they are, the more firm and less ripe they will be. Yellow bananas with a small amount of green around the stem are ideal for most people. Some, however, like the very ripe and soft yellow and brown bananas.
Tips to know:
- Bananas can be froze over time to help preserve it’s freshness. In order to do so, be sure to cut up the banana into four to six pieces. After, place the banana in a freezer bag and store in a freezer for up to 2 months.
- Bananas are a great source for Vitamin A, C, E and K as well as fiber. It also contains more than 30 grams of carbohydrates, which gives you the necessary fuel to get throughout your day.
- The average banana will contain around 100 to 120 calories.
How can I save money?
- Plan our banana purchase for a certain length of time. For instance, buy a few yellow ones, a few greenish-yellow ones, and a few green ones. These can then be used over then next week and will result in less waste.
- Try purchasing from your local farmer’s market. Most farmer’s markets will charge a lot less than your bigger grocery store chains such as Kroger.
- Most grocery stores will have them on sale periodically. When they are on sale, take advantage and purchase the quantities you need. Also, consider purchasing from wholesalers such as Costco, Sam’s Club, etc.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|