How Much Do Bolt Cutters Cost?
Bolt cutters is a tool used for cutting, and they are available in many different shapes and sizes. They may be ordinary but these simple machines work wonders when cutting chains, thick metal bolts, locks, fences, hinges and even small tree branches by just applying simple principles of leverage. Bolt cutters were originally made for cutting bolt seals from shipping containers, but are now used for a variety of jobs. They will be made with long handles and short blades, and they have special hinges to aid in the action of cutting. This gives the user the extra leverage he needs to get the job done. Bolt cutters can be bought at hardware stores in a wide variety of designs and for different purposes.
How much does it cost?
- As mentioned, bolt cutters are inclusive to a wide variety of tools that have specific purposes. Thus, the prices vary according to the specific bolt cutter.
- The average price for bolt cutters range from $5 to $120. ACE hardware, for example, sells bolt cutters of different sizes on its site at AceHardware.com. A bolt cutter that has a chrome vanadium, steel jaws, and rubber grips range from $18 to $50. The rubber grips allow the user to hold on the cutters better and are easier on the hands. Other bolt cutters which are priced more than $50 are also sold on the site. A 24″ bolt cutter designed to cut hard material up to 5/16″ and soft material up to 7/16″, for example, is sold for around $54.
- Other bolt cutters that are below $20 are sold as well. Most of these are mini bolt cutters are designed to cut small objects only. Ranging from 12″ to 28″, bolt cutters are sold at HarborFreight.com from $7.99 to $19.99.
- AceToolOnline.com also features Klein bolt cutters of different sizes and purposes. Most heavy duty bolt cutters are over a hundred dollars while those 18-inches long and below are priced below hundred dollars. A 14-long bolt cutter with steel handles, for example, is priced around $95.
What is going to be included?
- As mentioned, buying bolt cutters can be done online or directly from the store. You just need to choose the one you need and buy it. However, it is suggested to go for the one that could cut both hard and soft objects. If you can afford to get two, one that can cut through hard objects and one through soft, then this is an even better option.
- Using a bolt cutter is an easy endeavor. You just need to adjust the bolt cutters, choose the right target, grip one handle in each hand and with a forceful grip cut whatever it is you want to cut. Even though the bolt cutters give the used so much leverage and extra strength, it still takes someone quite strong to cut through thick object such as chains or padlocks.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. As for purchasing bolt cutters online, you might be the one to shoulder the payment for having it shipped into your location. This can be quite expensive compared to other online purchases because bolt cutters will weigh a lot.
- Sharpening. If you use your bolt cutters very often, you may need to get the blades sharpened. This will make cutting a lot easier and can prolong the life of the bolt cutters.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand. Some brands can be much more expensive than others; however, some manufacturers make higher quality tools and are worth the extra expense.
- Size. The longer the handles on the bolt cutters, the more leverage they will give, and therefore the more expensive they will be.
- Location. Some states in the US are offered discounts on tax and shipping when you purchase bolt cutters online. Ace Hardware, for instance, gives 70% shipping discount for orders shipped to stores in Alaska and Hawaii.
Tips to know:
- For stubborn locks or chains that cannot be easily cut, gripping with the bolt cutters and twisting back and forth can do the trick.
- You should not cut live electric wires with bolt cutters unless you are using ones especially made for the purpose.
How can I save money?
- The greatest way to save money is to buy at a local hardware store rather than online. Aside from the fact that there will be no shipping fees to consider, you can actually hold the bolt cutter and inspect it for quality and durability.
- Because bolt cutters are so well made in most cases, they can be used for many years and still be productive. You can look for bolt cutters at local garage sales and can probably get some for less than $5. As long as they are made of durable materials, you will not need to worry about them braking anytime soon.
- Look for sales in your local hardware stores, especially during the spring when people usually begin projects at the home. Bolt cutters can also be found at special prices during the holiday season.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|