How Much Do Carrots Cost?
Carrots are root vegetables that are usually orange in color, although there are red, purple, and white varieties available. The most commonly eaten part of the carrot is a taproot, but the greens on top of the carrot are edible as well. The domestic carrot has been selectively bred because it has a greatly enlarged and palatable taproot that is less textured and more edible. Carrots, like other vegetables, are very healthy as they are rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, and minerals. They can be used in many different recipes or eaten raw as a snack. The price of carrots depends heavily on the seller. Other factors that can influense the price are the age of the carrots, the location where they are grown, and the time of year.
How much is it?
- On average, carrots at the local grocery store or market can cost anywhere from $1 to $3 per pound depending on the season.
- Carrot seedlings are also sold, which can be perfect for your garden. Different varieties of carrot seedlings such as imperator, cosmic purple, hybrid, and atomic red are available and can cost $1.50 to $3 per pack.
- Carrot juices are also popular; these are available in a liquid or a powdered form. Powdered carrot juice can cost anywhere from $3 to $9 per bottle. Bottles generally come in 32 ounces.
- Carrots are also popular as a baby food. This food is developed by leading pediatric nutritionist and good for babies 6 months and older. Organic stained carrots can cost $10 to $19 for a pack of 12.
What are the extra costs?
- Organic carrots are going to cost more than the local grocery store carrots that have pesticides, etc on them. These can be anywhere from $1 to $3 extra per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Different carrot types can be consumed immediately. Fresh carrots can be eaten raw, while carrot juices are simply prepared.
- Juices, baby foods, and more will be processed to ensure freshness for the weeks to come. Baby food is going to last longer than juice.
Tips to know:
- Carrots can be cooked in so many different ways. They can be eaten raw, they can be boiled, baked, juiced and even put in salads and stir fries. The recipes are endless for those that want to cook with them.
- Experts say that the bigger a carrot is, the more flavor it’s going to have. Consider looking for carrots that are going to be larger than six to eight inches for full flavor.
- When storing carrots, be sure to rinse them down and drain them so that no water is left over. Seal them in a tight bag and put them in the coolest part of the fridge to ensure that they can stay fresh longer.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you’ll need to make sure that you only buy the product that you will need to use. Fresh carrots can spoil and you will need to purchase them as close to preparation time as possible.
- Check with local markets to compare prices of carrots. They will be priced differently but they are guaranteed to be fresh.