How Much Do Ceiling Tiles Cost?
Ceiling tiles are pieces of hard wearing materials made of ceramic, stone, metal or glass that are placed on the ceiling to add texture and design as well as protection in the underlying materials. Ceiling tiles can be made of several different materials and they can be simply designed with just one color or they can also be elaborately designed. The cost of ceiling tiles is going to vary depending on the size, the type, materials used, as well as the retailer selling the tiles.
How much is it?
- On, average the price of tiles can range anywhere from $5 to $55, with sizes from 2 ft by 2 ft to 24 inches by 24 inches.
- Basic ceiling tiles that are commonly found in a basement can cost $7 to $15 each, while a ceiling tile with an elaborate design can cost upwards of $55 per tile depending on the design. For example, a pack of 32 wood fiber ceiling panels retail for $33 to $41.
- An online company such as Ceilume.com lists decorative ceiling tiles ranging anywhere from $4 to $36 for different sized and designed ceiling tiles.
- According to the website Armstrong.com, a site that specializes in selling ceiling tiles notes that the typical 10′ x 12′ room should cost around $50 to as much as $500. Rooms that have a higher suspension or those with a complex layout can cost more.
What are the extra costs?
- There are professional contractors that offer installation for ceiling tiles. Contractors may charge differently depending on the company, but they usually charge by the hour, square footage, or per tile. Ceiling tile professional installation is going to cost anywhere from $2 to $7 per square feet to install.
- HomeWyse.com states that it should cost anywhere from $4 to as much as $7 per square foot to have the ceiling tile installed by a professional contractor.
- For those that are doing the jobs themselves, additional materials such as glue, tape, caulk and more will be required to complete the entire job properly.
- If older ceiling tiles need to be torn down, a premium demolition fee may have to be applied.
What is going to be included?
- Ceiling tiles will come packaged in groups of ten, twenty, or more depending on the brand.
- Big name manufactures will stand behind their product and offer a guarantee that may last up to a lifetime.
- Depending on the brand, each and every ceiling tile will be made from different materials. To abide by certain codes, these tiles will normally be fire-retardant and will meet local fire code standards.
How can I save money?
- Try to research and find out how to install the ceiling tiles yourself to save on labor costs. Installing ceiling tiles is not as hard as you think. DoItYourself.com has a handy guide on how to install tiles properly.
- If you are going to get a professional to install the tiles, be sure to use services such as Service Magic to find the best quote in your area.
- Consider purchasing ceiling tiles from local brick and mortar building supply stores to save on the costs of shipping. Since most shipments are going to be rather large, it’s ideal to purchase locally.