How Much Do Cinder Blocks Cost?
Cinder blocks are construction materials used for construction that are usually made of Portland cement or any type of cast concrete. Most structures that we build are begun by small pieces that are put together to form a foundation. The builders know that if the foundation is not solid, the building will not last as long as it should. The structures that we build are only as strong as their foundation. Although there are different materials and methods of forming a foundation, cinder blocks are probably the most popular and the most durable. They are usually reinforced with concrete columns and tie beams and are extremely strong.
How much do cinder blocks cost?
- Cinder blocks come in different sizes and they can be made of various materials such as cast concrete; these are the main reasons why the price of the product is different. Another factor that needs to be considered for the price difference of cinder blocks is the competition between the manufacturers that sell them. The number of cinder blocks you purchase can also affect the price since the more you buy, the cheaper they will be per block. On average, cinder blocks can cost $1-$4 per piece.
- Different types of cinder blocks such as a Basalite standard gray block can cost $1 to $2 per piece. Another type of cinder block such as the Quikrete normal weight block can cost $2 to $3 per piece. A lightweight block can cost $2 to $3.
- Home Depot, another popular home improvement store located around the country, sells different sized cinder blocks for $1 to $3 per piece. They also sell half blocks that usually cost $1 to $2 per piece.
What is going to be included?
- Aside from buildings or houses, you can also build fence walls as well as site perimeter walls. They provide quality foundation that, when reinforced with concrete columns and tie beam, can last for a long time.
- Most of the cinder blocks sold on the market are rustproof, are warp resistane, and are not known for harboring insects. They are also fire resistant and have great sound dampening qualities.
What are the extra costs?
- When you buy cinder blocks, you will need more materials in order to build the structure. You will need to buy concrete mix to reinforce the blocks and put tie beams to be able to make it a sturdy structure. For example, an 80 pound concrete mix can be purchased for $4 for an 80 pound bag.
- If you need to hire a professional to do the job for you, this will be an extra costs. Professionals will usually charge per hour or per job.
Tips to know:
- Cinder blocks are sold in different shapes and sizes and your purchase would depend on the type of structure that you are building. Although they are inexpensive per piece, you will need a lot of blocks to build a foundation and the cost can add up quickly.
- Cinder blocks alone crumble really quick. They may not seem durable alone, but once they are reinforced with concrete mix, they are very durable and last for a very long time.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you can check out different home improvement stores that sell cinder blocks. They sell the product at different prices which allows you to have options and choose a store that sells it at a lower price.
- If you need to have the cinder blocks installed, use services such as ServiceMagic.com to help find the best quotes in your area.