How Much Do Clown Fish Cost?
The clown fish, also known as an anemone fish, is one of the thousands of species of fish that can be found in the different oceans. Within the family of clown fish, there are thirty specific types of clown fish recognized. Although clown fish have been around a long time, their popularity sky-rocketed with the release of the Disney movie Finding Nemo. Clown fish is a type of tropical fish native to warmer waters of the Indian as well as the Pacific Ocean. A clown fish is also popular for their colors which are composed of black, white and, orange. Another trait that makes clown fish unique is that they evolved to become immune to the nematocysts and toxins of the anemone. This is the reason that is can also be referred to as the anemone fish, and it is the reason that a lot of clown fish live in anemones. With their vibrant colors and active movement, clown fish is a great addition to any aquarium.
How much is it?
- There are many pet stores that sell clown fish of different sizes and varieties. These stores can sell the clown fish at different prices because of the competitive nature of the market. There are different breeds of clown fish available as well; because some are much more rare than others, the prices can fluctuate from breed to breed. The age of the clown fish could also have an effect on its selling price. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $15 to as much as $150 for a clown fish.
- Keep in mind that different kinds of clown fish can be bred. These can include a True Percula, Maroon, Yellowstripe and tomato clown fish. For that particular breed of clown fish, expect to pay anywhere from $15 to $30 per piece.
- If you do not like the bright orange colored clown fish, there are darker colored ones such as the black and white ocellaris and black saddle back clown fish. These varieties are a little bit more expensive, costing $25 to $45.
- Clown fish that include the black sebae, blue line and clarkia clown fish are priced anywhere from $30 to $70. One of the most expensive clown fish is the white bonnet clown fish which is sold for $120 to $145.
- SaltWaterFishShop.com is an online pet shop that sells a variety of clown fish which includes ocellaris, pink skunk and tomato clown fish. These types of fishes can be purchased for anywhere from $16 to $30 according to the website.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy clown fish, it will be shipped in a water container so that it can survive the trip to the buyer’s place. More often than not, reputable online companies will choose online shipping. This will ensure you that your shipment arrives on time. Many online stores also offer some type of guarantee that if the fish does not survive the transfer, it will either be replaced or your money will be refunded.
- Clown fish have different qualities depending on the breed. The more popular ones have more prominent orange color while some are black and white.
What are the extra costs?
- Before you buy a clown fish, you need to buy an aquarium first. Also, you will need to purchase different aquarium items that would provide a suitable habitat and environment for the fish. See: “How much does a saltwater aquarium cost?“
- Factor in additional maintenance down the road such as cleaning the aquarium and food. Plan on budgeting around $15 to $35 per month to keep your clown fish healthy.
Tips to know:
- You should decide on what type of clown fish you would like to have. They do not necessarily behave differently but the price can be different. As noted above, the species will widely vary in price. While many can look the same, it does not mean that they will act the same.
- Make sure that you take careful precautions to ensure that the tank is at its peak. If it not clean or the temperature is off by a few degrees, it can cause harm or even the death of the fish. How often your tank needs to be cleaned will depend a few factors. First is the type of filter that you have. The better the filter, the less often you will have to clean the tank. Second is whether or not you use any types of chemicals in your tank. These chemicals can help keep the tank free from toxins. Third, the type of food that you feed you fish can affect its cleanliness. Make sure you take all of these things into account when maintaining your salt water tank.
How can I save money?
- Since clown fish are priced differently, you may opt to purchase cheaper varieties first before buying more expensive kind. Check with different pet stores to compare the prices at which they are being offered.
- Consider checking local aquariums first. These aquariums can provide guidance, and you can bring the fish home without worrying about a shipment.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|