How Much Do Clownfish Cost?
The clownfish, also known as an anemone fish, is a type of tropical fish native to warmer waters of the Indian as well as the Pacific Ocean. Within the family of clownfish, there are thirty specific types of clownfish recognized. Although clownfish have been around a long time, their popularity skyrocketed with the release of the Disney movie, Finding Nemo. This fish is also popular for its colors which are composed of black, white and orange. Another trait that makes clownfish unique is that they evolved to become immune to the nematocysts and toxins of the anemone.
How much is it?
- The cost of clownfish will depend on the breed, its rarity, the age and where you purchase it from. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $15 to as much as $150 for a clown fish.
- Keep in mind that different kinds of clownfish can be bred. These can include a True Percula, Maroon, Yellowstripe and tomato clownfish. For that particular breed of clownfish, expect to pay anywhere from $15 to $30 per piece.
- If you do not like the bright orange colored clownfish, there are darker colored ones such as the black and white ocellaris and black saddle back clownfish. These varieties are a little bit more expensive, costing $25 to $45.
- Clown fish that include the black sebae, blue line and clarkia clownfish are priced anywhere from $30 to $70. One of the most expensive clownfish is the white bonnet clownfish, which is sold for $120 to $145.
- SaltWaterFishShop.com is an online pet shop that sells a variety of clownfish which includes ocellaris, pink skunk and tomato clownfish. These types of fishes can be purchased for anywhere from $16 to $30 according to the website.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy a clownfish, it will be shipped in a water container so that it can survive the trip to the buyer’s place. More often than not, reputable online companies will choose online shipping. This will ensure you that your shipment arrives on time. Many online stores also offer some type of guarantee that if the fish does not survive the transfer, it will either be replaced or your money will be refunded.
- Clownfish have different qualities depending on the breed. The more popular ones have more prominent orange color while some are black and white.
What are the extra costs?
- Before you buy a clown fish, you need to buy an aquarium first. Also, you will need to purchase different aquarium items that would provide a suitable habitat and environment for the fish. See: “How much does a saltwater aquarium cost?“
- Factor in additional maintenance down the road such as cleaning the aquarium and food. Plan on budgeting around $15 to $35 per month to keep your clownfish healthy.
Tips to know:
- You should decide on what type of clownfish you would like to have. They do not necessarily behave differently but the price can be different. As noted above, the species will widely vary in price. While many can look the same, it does not mean that they will act the same.
- Make sure that you take careful precautions to ensure that the tank is at its peak. If it not clean or the temperature is off by a few degrees, it can cause harm or even the death of the fish. How often your tank needs to be cleaned will depend a few factors. First is the type of filter that you have. The better the filter, the less often you will have to clean the tank. Second is whether or not you use any types of chemicals in your tank. These chemicals can help keep the tank free from toxins. Third, the type of food that you feed you fish can affect its cleanliness. Make sure you take all of these things into account when maintaining your salt water tank.
How can I save money?
- Since clownfish are priced differently, you may opt to purchase cheaper varieties first before buying more expensive kind. Check with different pet stores to compare the prices at which they are being offered.
- Consider checking local aquariums first. These aquariums can provide guidance, and you can bring the fish home without worrying about a shipment.