How Much Do Coffee Beans Cost?
The coffee bean is not actually a bean, but the seed of the coffee plant. If you are a coffee lover, you know that your coffee experience is always at its best if you buy real coffee beans, grind them, and brew the coffee yourself. Although doing such is less “instant” than most coffee, all coffee enthusiasts agree that the best coffee is made from freshly roasted, ground beans. There are many types of coffee beans in the world. Some of the common ones perfect for brewing include Arabica, Robusta, Kona and Liberia. All these, together with other types of coffee beans, are widely available to us on a daily basis at any local grocery store.
How much does it cost?
- The price for coffee beans depends on the individual type. Regardless of the type, most coffee beans have a higher price than their pre-processed counterparts. In fact, the costs for coffee beans have been reported to rise significantly each year. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, a single bag of coffee beans can cost an average of $5 per pound.
- For instance, the Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast retails for $35 for a 5 pound bag, which comes to $5 per pound. On the other hand, the higher end Lavaaza Super Crema retails for $28 for 2 pounds.
- The website CoffeeMaria.com sells different types of premium coffee beans such as Antigua Guatemala, Lake Atitlan Guatemala and Costa Rican coffee beans. The average price per pound is around $5.
- There are also coffee beans that are sold for less than the average price mentioned. IndexMundi.com made a comparison of the price of coffee robusta per pound this year. It is known that the said type of coffee is less costly than others. As of October 2012, it is revealed that the price is just about $1 per pound.
- Overall, depending on the type of coffee bean which you would like to buy, the prices will be around $1 to $7 per pound. It is also not too uncommon to see premium name-brand names go for as much as $10 to $18 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Different types of coffee beans can be bought at some gourmet shops and through some reputable websites on the internet. Although the former is much preferred since you can personally inspect the quality of beans at the time of purchase, purchasing beans from the internet also is a great choice since you can choose different types of premium coffee beans that are not found in most local shops.
- As a coffee enthusiast, you probably have your own taste preference. Thus, you must learn about the different coffee-growing regions (the varieties which are highly regarded) and choose the one that produces coffee that matches your tastes.
- As suggested by most coffee experts, you must discover your roast preference. You can have your coffee beans French roasted, Italian roasted or whatever way you like it, and this will greatly determine the taste of the coffee made with the beans.
What are the extra costs?
- Coffee Grinder. Any serious coffee lover knows that grinding your own beans is a delight. Aside from the fact that you are able to take part of the process of making your own coffee, you are also able to control your coffee’s taste. For best taste, investing in a quality coffee grinder and grinding your own beans at home is highly recommended. Grinders can retail for $15 to $125, depending on the quality for which you are looking.
- Shipping Fees. If you choose to buy your coffee beans online, you will likely shoulder the expenses for getting it shipped into your location.
- Additions. Most coffee drinkers like to add things such as sweeteners and creamers for added taste and texture. These items must be purchased separately.
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of coffee. As mentioned, the prices for most coffee beans differ according to the type. It is known that some premium coffees are priced more than $5 per pound. However, cheaper coffees such as robusta are just about $1 per pound.
- Location. This is a big determinant of the price if you purchase your coffee beans online. As we all know, the shipping fees are determined by the specific location.
Tips to know:
- It is known that the vast majority of coffee beans in the world come from two species of coffee: Coffea arabica and Coffea robusta. More than three-quarters of the coffee beans sold in the world are a variety of Coffea arabica, while the bulk of the remainder is Coffea robusta, which is also known as Coffea canephora.
- As per coffee-makers-et-cetera.com, there are more than six thousand variations of coffee beans worldwide but only 25 of them are considered as major types. From the 25 major types, only three important and common types are used by the consumers: Kona, Robusta and Arabica.
How can I save money?
- Shop online and look for the sites that sell premium and quality coffee beans at an affordable price. So as not to be priced unfairly, you must know the average price of the type of coffee bean you are looking to buy.
- Some companies are willing to offer discounts for those that subscribe to monthly shipment programs. One program in particular is Amazon’s Subscribe and Save program.