How Much Do Comic Books Cost?
Like good literature, comic books are all inclusive. Aside from the usual superhero types, other genres are available that may include alternative/esoteric, manga, fantasy, science fiction, action, adventure, fantasy, horror, humor and romance to name a few.
How much does it cost?
- Talking about comic book prices can be a little tricky since there are a lot of things to be considered. However, there are ways to check for the worth of your comic books. Nevertheless, most comic books nowadays cost around $2 to $5 on average, much different from the pennies they cost decades before.
- According to TheAwl.com, most of the top-of-the-line comic books nowadays are priced at $3.99. The site also has featured how the prices of comic books have risen over the years. You can check out TheAwl.com to check specific prices.
- Comichron.com also gives the average prices of the top comic books in the country year after year. As of 2011, the average price of comic books is $3.49.
- Mania.com also stated that the average cost of comic books rose from the 60’s up until now. According to the site, as of 2008 most comics cost $2.99 each.
- For prices of the specific comics you want to collect, you can visit online comic stores such as MileHighComics.com. Just enter the specific issue you want and you can choose from the vast collection of comic books. You can also use price guides to make sure that you are not paying too much for the issue. As suggested by About.com, you can use popular online guides such as ComicsPriceGuide.com and Lyriacomicexchange.com.
What is going to be included?
- Collecting comic books is a hobby that many people still practice. One can buy comics at any comic book stores in the country. However, technological advancements have revolutionized the comic books industry as well. Thus, you can also buy a comic eBook online that will be compatible even with your mobile devices.
- Like any other book series, comic books can be bought per issue or by volume. You can usually save money if you buy by bulk rather than purchasing individual comic books.
- As mentioned, there are different genres one can choose when buying comic books. Although superhero-themed stories come up to mind whenever comic books are mentioned, there is more to comic books than superheroes. Name the genre you love to read, and comic books most likely have it. However, any comic books that have adult content will not usually be sold or advertised in most mainstream bookstores. These types are just usually downloaded and bought from the Internet.
- When purchasing comic books, you need to consider the possible value in the future. You may just be buying for entertainment right now, but if you keep it in great condition, it could potentially be worth a lot some day.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping costs. If you buy comic books over the internet but do not favor the electronic ones, you need to consider the costs for having it shipped into your location.
- Comic Book Grading. This is applicable for avid comic book collectors who want to know the value of the comic books they own, most especially if it is a very special or a limited issue. The price of the comic may appreciate in the future. However, grading services from experts will definitely not be free. SEE: “How much does comic book grading cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- The comic itself. Some of the major comic book printing companies such Marvel and DC will sell comics at around $2 to $3 for the average ones (those which have not achieved commercial success yet). However, for popular comics such as Iron Man, Avengers, DC’s Action Comics and Justice League, they charge a bit higher — usually at $3.99.
- Quality of the comic book. If you are buying a brand new comic, look for the quality, which, of course, is reflected in the paper that is used to print. If you are also buying (or selling) an old comic book to add to your collection, the price for the comic will be influenced by the paper quality, spine, gloss and color, and the apparent flaws, if there are any.
Tips to know:
- Although the two are sometimes interchanged, comic books and graphic novels are two different types of books.
- In order to price comic books accurately, one needs to have an up-to-date and authoritative price guide, not to mention that the person must at least have a considerable understanding of comic books and comic book condition grading.
- The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is an industry standard in comic book prices. A new edition comes out every year with updated prices for almost every comic book on the market.
How can I save money?
- You can opt to buy comic books at discount bins. You can always find comic shops and bookstores that feature bins where you can buy older comics for prices such as 25 cents to $1.
- Always be on the lookout for sales and discounts on comic books.
- If you are not worried about the condition of the paper, you can just look for one that has less-than-mint condition. Comic books with this type of quality typically cost less.
- As mentioned, buying in bulk can also be an advantage for a comic book lover.
- If you are an avid fan of a comic book series, then why not subscribe? It is known that subscribing to comic books will save you money over buying one at a time at bookstores and comic shops. If there are titles you like, subscribing to these will ensure that you do not miss an issue and will usually save you roughly the cost of 2 issues in a year’s worth of comics.
- If you are ready to abandon the joys of the printed world, you can opt for digital comic books. While not as authentic, digital comic books will allow you to save money.